Benefits Of The Classical Sitting Poses In Yoga
How are you all doing? Many of your New Year resolutions must be a fit body. And how can we do it? There are so many options and one among them is Yoga. Yoga has become a part and parcel of life for most of us.
Yoga is considered to be the sister science of Ayurveda. In Ayurveda the main focus is on the food, nutrition and medicine. However, in Yoga the focus is on the combination of specific Asanas along with awareness of proper breathing.
Some people prefer the asanas and some stick to pranayam alone. Not only India but the whole world today is singing praises of our age old wisdom of yoga. Whenever I see videos of foreigners teaching yoga I feel so proud of my country that has given birth to this science.
Today, I am here to discuss –
The Benefits Of The Classical Sitting Poses In Yoga
There are four classical sitting poses totally; they are:
Allow me to elucidate.
Sukhasana (Comfortable pose)
This sitting posture comes naturally us Indians. Right from childhood we know how to sit in this pose. You just have to sit down on your floor mat with your legs crossed. This position is ideal for doing meditation or pranayam.
Benefits of Sukhasana (Comfortable pose)
- Relieves physical and mental exhaustion.
- It helps opening the hips and also starches the spine.
- It calms the mind down
- It eliminates anxiety
- It lengthens the spine
- It strengthens the back
- Broadens the chest and collar-bones.
Siddhasana (Perfect pose)
This pose allows a person to meditate without distraction.
Benefits Of Siddhasana (Perfect pose)
- It helps in increasing the concentration power of a person.
- It relaxes the muscles of the legs and the pelvic area as well.
- Hips, pelvic muscles and the legs become more flexible.
- It strengthens the legs and hips.
Svastikasana (Auspicious pose)
This is another comfortable meditative pose especially for long hours. It is suitable for doing Pranayam also.
Benefits Of Svastikasana (Auspicious pose)
- This pose strengthens the spinal cord as it is kept straight in this asana.
- It reduces high blood pressure.
- Even ailments of knees are cured from the practice of Svastikasana.
- This asana is known to cleanse the ‘Nadis’( the energy channels of the body).
- A feeling of calmness enters the mind while sitting in this asana.
- When practiced regularly this asana helps in maintaining normal body temperature.
- This asana also tones the muscles of the abdominal area.
Padmasana (Lotus pose)
This pose is also considered to be good for meditation.
Benefits Of Padmasana (Lotus pose)
- This pose helps in enhancing blood circulation in the body.
- It is known to improve digestion.
- As per Hindu Texts padmasana destroys all disease and awakens kundalini. (Kundalini is a dormant energy residing at the base of the spine. With the help of meditation and yoga it can be awakened).
- This asana stretches the knees and ankles.
- It keeps the joints and muscles flexible.
- Helps women in reducing menstrual discomfort.
- It calms the brain and increases attentiveness.
Having discussed all the benefits I would like to say that you should perform the asanas correctly to reap the benefits. It is better to perform yogasanas in the presence of a guide or instructor.