My mother thinks food is the solution of every problem. She is a firm believer of you are what you eat philosophy. So according to this philosophy most days I am a crunchy capsicum. 😛 . Come winter and my whining starts. Dry skin and mega dry hair and no lotion potion work to soothe my rukhi-sukhi skin.
So, while I was stocking up on creams full of butters and fruit extracts my mother said how about trying to eat these fruits for a change rather than spending insane amount of money on the pure extracts and guess what the advice worked. Yes! So today madam Vandana is going to teach you how to combat dry skin with few diet changes. Specs perched high atop nose. 😀
What dry skin lacks is moisture, so to heal this problem we have to include moisture rich ingredients in our diet. What’s the first thing that comes to your mind when I say moisture in food? Obviously fats and oils. Before Tarun murders me for asking you all to eat fats, I must tell you there are good mono unsaturated fats which are essential for your body and makes the skin soft and supple. Let’s jot down a list of what we must include in our diet for healthy, nourished and glowing skin.
Best Diet For Dry Skinned People
- Avocados, dry fruits and olive oil are rich sources of nourishment and don’t worry they won’t make you pile on kilos.
- Coconut in any form is full of nourishment. My mother always takes a bite of coconut to curb her sweet craving 🙂
- Don’t throw that vase on my face for reminding you again, but WATER is the key to hydrated skin. Even green tea works wonder.
- Omega-3 fats are world famous for their benefits. You can get it by including walnut and flax seed oil in your diet. Trust me eating a fistful of walnut every day will show results very quickly.
- It has been explained time and again on IWB about the superpowers of fruit and vegetables. How they are so rich in antioxidants and can help fight free radicals caused by sun and pollution. Free radicals lead to age spots and early wrinkles. Papaya, kale and spinach are full of antioxidants.
- All the creams boasts of forming collagens for skin but fruits rich in vitamin c does the work better. So indulge in those oranges, black currants, kiwi and the likes.
- Vitamin E, the Holy Grail ingredient can be easily found in almonds, pine nuts, sunflower seeds and avocados. Vitamin E protects the cells from getting damaged.
- This is something I found while researching, there are foods reach in phyto-estrogens, which are similar to oestrogen, female sex hormone. They are extremely beneficial in maintaining the hormonal balance. Soya, wholegrain and flax seeds are rich source of phyto- estrogens.
- Another important thing is zinc, which helps in normal functioning of sebaceous glands. So to keep the skin soft gorge on nuts and fish.
- I hate milk. So, I have included curd in my diet. Everyone should include at least one bowl of curd in their diet. In the form of lassi, buttermilk or raita.
- I know most of you run away at the mention of butter but homemade butter once in a while is very good for health. Also, I am a big supporter of homemade desi ghee 🙂
Dull, dehydrated looking skin is not the only curse of dry skin. It can lead to flakiness, redness and painful itching too. So, while you splurge on those cucking crazy expensive body butters do try some of the tips from the list above.
I am sure you will be more than happy with the results. Let’s crinkle our lassi glasses and begin the fight against dry skin. 😉
P.S – For clear and glowing skin, adopt these foods.
You may also like reading –
- Vitamin C:Benefits,Sources,Deficiency
- 10 Must Have Yoga Accessories
- Amazing Benefits Of Water For Hair, Skin And Health
- Book Review: Don’t Lose Your Mind, Lose Your Weight by Rujuta Diwekar
- How To Reduce Paunch
- Yoga’ o Clock:Right Time For Yoga
- Top 6 Free Health and Fitness apps
- Fish Recipe – Fish Curry For Weight Loss
- How To Prevent Abdominal Obesity
- 15 Best Foods For Healthy Bones
- Mandira Bedi – A Super Mom
- Healthy Oats Halwa Sweet Recipe