8 Amazing Facts And Myths Of Hiccups!

1
1855

Check Out The Facts And Myths Of Hiccups!

Hello All!!!!

Hiccups are quite common and there is nothing to worry about them in most cases. Do you think you know all about hiccups? Well, I am sure that you are not aware of the following:

Facts And Myths Of Hiccups

Hiccups-Unexpected Signs Of A Health Problem

1) There are many things that cause hiccups

A number of things can cause hiccups. Drinking alcohol, smoking, changes in temperature on the inside as well as outside of the stomach, a bloated belly due to overeating, a shock, stress as well as excitement have been linked to cause short term episodes of hiccups. Having hiccups on a long term can be caused due to gastrointestinal or respiratory problems or diabetes.

2) If your hiccups last for more than 2 days then there is an underlying cause

While getting hiccups occasionally is completely normal, having them for longer than 2 days means that something is wrong. 80% of the chances are that there is something else that is causing hiccups and the remaining 20% of the chances are that there are some psychological problems.

3) Most home remedies don’t seem to work

Hiccups usually occur for a few minutes and none of the home remedies can stop them. It can be stopped only by the doctor’s medicine. So, all your life what you have been doing to stop your hiccups doesn’t really work. The remedies include holding your breath, drinking water, or someone scaring you. If they have helped you in the past, it was by mere chance! The hiccups would have stopped on their own and not by the remedies.

4) The funny sound of hiccups is caused when the body cuts air off

Hiccups have a funny sound and have been used in kids’ cartoons since ages! But have you ever wondered what causes it? When your diaphragm contracts, there is a quick intake of air that is cut off promptly by the closing of vocal chords. As a result you hear the sound of a hiccup. Studies say that there is a time gap of 35 milliseconds between the contraction and closing of the windpipe.

5) Everyone gets hiccups even unborn babies!

If you feel that there exist people who never got hiccups, you need to think again. Individuals of all races and sexes, right from an old man to a little child can get hiccups. Even fetuses inside the womb can get hiccups too. Apart from humans even cats and dogs can get hiccups!

6) An average person has a hiccup frequency of 4 to 60 hiccups a minute

An average individual has a hiccup frequency of 4 to 60 hiccups per minute (hpm). This means that there are people who hiccup every second for a whole long minute! Sounds hilarious!

7) Hiccups are known by 3 other names too!

‘Hiccup’ is one common name but there are two others- diaphragmatic spasms and singultus. The first one ‘diaphragmatic spasms’ is self explanatory. The second one singultus is derived from the Latin phrase ‘singult’, which means the act of catching your breath while crying/sobbing.

8) Hiccups are linked to superstitious beliefs

Myth Busted

Yes, you must have heard people saying that when you get hiccups someone is remembering you and by calling out their name the hiccups will vanish! This is nothing but a myth!

The above must have been something new to you I guess! If you know something more interesting about hiccups, please share it in the comments section!

Hope this post has been interesting!

You may also like reading-

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here