How Avocado Can Help You Lose Weight
The nutrition myth that you will get fat by eating fat is not going to go away so easily I guess. The truth is that certain dietary fats like the ones found in avocado can help in weight loss! Want to know why? Here it is
Is saturated fat bad for you?
Saturated fat has always been under the scanner and widely debated. But what has come to light is that trans fat and hydrogenated fat in foods like margarine are the real culprits causing not just weight gain but also heart disease. Refined carbs have also been found to trigger weight gain. It is refined carbs and not saturated fat that are behind sky rocketing levels of obesity and other diseases.
Avocado is a fruit that is native to Mexico and central America.
Avocados are a calorie dense food. Just 100 gms of the fruit provides 160 calories. More than two thirds of its calories come from monounsaturated oleic acid. Studies have shown that oleic acids are used by the body as a slowly burning source of energy than saturated fat. If you happen to consume monounsaturated fats instead of polyunsaturated fats and carbs, you will reduce your chances of weight gain and diabetes.
Avocado is also a good source of omega-9 fats. Eating a diet rich in it has shown to reduce the levels of bad cholesterol (LDL) and raise the level of good cholesterol (HDL). Omega-9 fat helps the body in absorbing antioxidants and fat soluble vitamins from the food consumed along. Avocados are themselves quite amazing but when eaten with nutritious veggies they help in assimilating the vitamins and nutrients present in the veggies too.
Weight Loss and Hunger
Avocados also help in reducing hunger. At times we tend to mistake thirst for hunger- the main reason for weight gain. So, the next time you feel like having a bite, have a glass of water instead.
Consuming Mother Nature’s healthy foods, like avocados and almonds you will be less likely to feel hungry again after a short time after having your meal. Avocados have a rich and buttery taste with healthy fibre content and monounsaturated fats. Along with that they have protein and are low in carbs. Avocados provide a feeling of satisfied fullness after being eaten, which is called satiety.
With so many plus points in Avocado, they seem to be a wonderful weight loss food if added to a healthy diet plan.
Other health benefits of avocado
- It provides ant-inflammatory benefits. So, it helps in preventing arthritis.
- It helps in regulating blood sugar as it is low in cabs and also low in sugar.
- It has shown anti-cancer benefits at the lab level. Studies have not been done at human levels.
- It supports the heart health.
Sadly, avocado is not widely famous in India. A few shake stalls have butterfruit (as it is called here) shakes on their menu but this wonder fruit is yet to be fully embraced by us Indians.
India does not grow avocados widely. Regions that produce the fruit include the hill slopes of Tamil Nadu, Coorg , Kerala, and certain areas of Karnataka. So that means mainly southern parts of India. However, Sikkim is successfully growing avocados.
Let me tell you how you can select them. A ripe avocado that is ready to eat is a little soft but it should not have any sunken spots or cracks. If it is firm, it can be ripened at home by keeping it in a paper bag at room temperature. Avocados shouldn’t be refrigerated until they have ripen. Once they are ripe, they can be kept in the fridge for a week.
Will you try losing weight with Avacado?
You may also like reading-
- Top 10 Exercise Myths Busted!
- Nutrition Facts And Health Benefits-Red Onion And Spring Onion
- Best Practical Weight Loss Secrets Ever
- Indian Weight Loss Blog Updates-What’s coming next?
- Nutrition Facts-Full Cream Milk Vs Toned Milk
- Can You Lose Weight On Low Carb Vegetarian Diet?Caitlin Shares Her Weight Loss Story
- Kitchen Tools That Help You Lose Weight
- 3 Top Tips Teenagers Should Try for Losing Weight Fast
- 6 Reasons Why Low Fat Diet Destroys Health
- Nutrition Facts Of Raw and Cooked Vegetables
- Nutrition Facts And Health Benefits Of Ginger And Garlic
- Workout Fusion To Help You Lose Weight Better
- Zenith Nutrition Hair Fab Review-Hair Growth Supplement