How to make Tofu at home
Three years back when I began Low Carb way of eating, I read a lot about the benefits of Tofu as it was low carb and high protein. The problem was that I was not able to find it in the local market. I remembered as a kid once in 1970 s my mom had started making Soya milk, Curd and Paneer at home (no one knew at that time that it was low carb and high protein Tofu). The experiment actually didn’t last long as no one liked the after taste of Soya. Then few years back once while visiting Pune I found a pack of Tofu in one of the stores and actually liked the taste. It tasted good may be because of additives and preservatives. (Packaged stuff you know). Being an aggressive experimenter in kitchen (which I sometimes repent too) :P, I decided to make low carb high protein Tofu at home.
Why make Tofu at home?
Tofu is one of the most important foods discovered in China more than 2,000 years ago. It is extremely low in calories, saturated fats, carbohydrates, free of cholesterol, gluten and dairy. Moreover an excellent source of protein for vegetarians and vegans. If there is any member of your family who is lactose intolerant then Tofu is the best way to add protein in diet.
How to make Tofu at home?
Tofu is not that difficult to be made at home but before making Tofu we need to make Soy milk.
Here are the steps to be followed.
- Wash Soya beans well and soak them at night.
- Use a blender to make Soybean milk in batches. Beans and water ratio is one cup of soaked soybeans to three cups of water. Each batch should run for at least 3 minutes.
- Put the coarse soybean milk into a large pot and heat to a slow simmer for 10 minutes.
- Place a colander, covered with a clean kitchen towel or muslin cloth, into a large pot or bowl.
- Pour the hot soybean milk into the towel to strain the soybean milk. Keep stirring with a spoon.
- When milk stops coming then gather the edges of the kitchen towel or muslin cloth, tighten the towel edges like a screw. Use a spoon to scrape the outside of the ball to facilitate the flow. This should be done when the milk has cooled.
- Continue this process until the inside of the towel is nearly empty. This process is a little tedious and you can’t help repenting why you started all this nonsense. 😛
From Soy milk to Tofu
Now that you have Soy Milk, its time to make Tofu.
- Put the Soy milk on boil stirring frequently.
- To get rid of that after taste from Tofu add a bit of Jeera, chopped green chilly and coriander leaves to this milk. This will give a masala flavour to that bland Tofu.
- Turn off the gas and Mix one teaspoon coagulant Epsom salt which is called Sendha Namak, with 1/4-cup of water before adding it to the heated soybean milk. Pour the mixture into the hot soybean milk a little at a time and observe it thickening like sauce. The milk will begin curdling.
- Pour the tofu mix in a Sieve covered with Muslin or cheese cloth to drain excess liquid. Sqeeze out all the liquid. Wrap the cheesecloth and put another basket or something to press the tofu mixture.
- Once Tofu is set, (mine wasn’t that perfect 🙁 but I managed a neat slice for pics by chopping off the edges and hiding the uneven ones under onions and tomatoes…. Lolz). Take it out and wrap in a wet cloth to store in the refrigerator.
- It can stay up to one week but its suggested not to make in big bulk as you will get tired and will not be able to enjoy the taste of Tofu. So just make one batch only at a time.
PS: You can also use lemon juice or vinegar as Tofu coagulator. 🙂
And here is my fresh Tofu Stir Fry…. 🙂
Oh!! BTW !!! Did I tell you I have fallen in love with myself after eating this Self made Masala Tofu???? Ummmm ! Kanan, you are the best 😉 Ha ha Lolz
Eat Tofu, Live Life, Love Life.
Do you think you can make this Low Carb High Protein Tofu At Home? Oh! Come on at least try once.
You may also like to read:
- DIY-How To Make Peanut Butter At Home
- Chicken Balls Recipe – Low Carb
- Is Bread Really Bad For You?
- DIY-How To Make Coconut Milk At Home
- Edible Flowers For Health
- How To Party When On Paleo/LCHF Diet
- 4 Papaya Smoothie For Weight Loss
- American Garden Low Carb Peanut Butter India
- Dairy-Good Or Bad For Health?
- Coconut, Mango and Chia Seeds Pudding Recipe