How To Use Treadmill Effectively
Now a days people are so busy they do not have time to go outside and do exercise, hence treadmill is a superb and convenient to stay at home and workout.
Treadmill v/s Outdoor Running and how to use treadmill effectively
- Treadmill is convenient, indoor and easy whereas outdoor running depends on factors like weather.
- Treadmill can become boring since you do same thing again and again in a closed environment whereas outdoor running gives you opportunity to work out in fresh air and choose a different path everyday hence variety.
- With treadmill you can run on a smooth path on a pace that you set whereas with outdoor running you’ll have to face lots of ups and downs.
Treadmill as well as running has its pros and cons. So it completely depends on which option is more suitable to you. Those who find treadmill mundane and costly can choose outdoor running and those who feel shy running outside or do not have time to, can choose treadmill; completely personal preference.
Does Treadmill Cause Knee Injury?
This is something that bothers me a lot, since lot of people say that. But finally after lots of research, I found that not treadmill alone but even running outside can cause knee injury. Actually it is not about where we do it (treadmill or outside) but it is actually about how we do it. Three important points to keep in mind to avoid knee injuries are:
- Stretch: Do not directly hop on to treadmill. Stretch your muscles and do a light on the spot jogging. It would awaken up the muscles and prepare them for a heavy workout ahead.[pic4]
- Start and End Slowly: Always start with a low speed, directly running on high speed can cause injury. Warm up the muscles before actual task. Also, once the task is finished make sure to gradually lower down the speed. Take time to cool down, IT IS VERY IMPORTANT.
- Erect-Posture: Maintain your posture. Stand straight with erect spine. Do not let TV, Magazine or anything around to distract you because there is nothing worse than running in a bad posture. It will go more harm to your body than good. Read more about standing posture here.
How long to run on a Treadmill ?
Again I am no pro at it but after researching and discussing with my gym instructor this is what I concluded:
- Always start slowly. If you are beginner start from 10 minutes and when you can do those 10 minutes comfortably then increase time to 15 minutes and so on. It is safe to run on a treadmill for 30-45 minutes once you build that much of stamina. If you want to do more than that do consult an instructor because more than 45 minutes can cause you harm. Rest, it all depends on individual to individual and their stamina. Hence, it is advisable to consult before running on treadmills for such long durations.
- There are three kinds of running that would help you lose more calories
- Interval Running: Run for 2 minutes on a slow speed and then two minutes on a faster speed. This burns hell lot of calories. Idea behind this plan is to increase and decrease speed after every minute so that body is not able to predict what is going to happen next and hence will keep on working hard. Read more about HIIT here and here.
- Increase the speed gradually: Start with a slow speed and gradually increase the speed after every 2 minutes.
- Run for a longer time on steady level.
Tip: It is always advisable to do weight training along with treadmill for a complete workout. Please make sure you do not totally depend on treadmill.