Importance Of Sleep For Health
Recently I researched and read a lot about sleep which has opened a new thought and in-sight about ‘sleeping’
For most of us, other commitments seems to take more priority than sleeping. Hope many agree with me ?
But we are not aware of consequences of minimal sleep. It takes a toll on your energy, stress and the mood of the whole day. It doesn’t just stop there. Yes, Ladies !! its consequences are much more than want we think.
Importance Of Sleep For Health
Many of us try to sleep as little as possible. You see, just like exercise and diet, sleep also directly affects mental and physical health. The quality of your sleep increases your mental sharpness, productivity, emotional balance, creativity, physical vitality, and above all your ‘Weight’. No other activity delivers so many benefits with so little effort!
To brief about sleep:
- Non- REM (4 stages)
- REM (Dream stage)
During Non- REM, the stages of sleep is from light to the deep sleep (fourth stage). Once you reach deep sleep, REM starts. REM is when you dream. Then REM and Non- REM goes on a cycle.
Deep sleep and REM
The most damaging effects of sleep deprivation are from in-adequate deep sleep. Deep sleep is a time when the body repairs itself and builds up energy for the day ahead. Its maintains health, stimulating growth and development, repairing muscles and tissue, most importantly increases your immune system.
Well, REM plays a key role in learning and memory.
Now, whats “quality sleeping”. It is based on how long you had your deep sleep and REM. (interesting uh !!). To wake up energized and refreshed, getting quality deep sleep is important.
Impact of Sleep on Weight
The Quality sleep directly affects certain hormones like leptin and ghrelin. Gherlin induces appetite and leptin (produced in fat cells) sends signals to brain saying “Stop eating !! Your stomach is Full” So if your body does produces enough of these hormones, you eat a lot , as no command goes to your brain to stop eating and hence the appetite is always there. Thus leading to ‘Weight’ gain.
How long to sleep?
As you know, every individual is unique. You need to experiment (trail and error) and find out as ”how long is comfortable for you”..For me 8-8.5 hrs is sufficient.
Cool word (compound) na ?? Sleep debt !!..Yes..Ladies..Most of us carry a huge baggage of sleep debt for the weekend. But the researchers say, sleeping extensively during weekends will never clear your sleep debt. Rather you will mess up your sleep routine for the next week, craving for more sleep..(I agree !!)
What to have for good sleep
- Say No to coffee and alcohol in the nights
- Sugar can also interrupt sleep
- No heavy meals for dinner
- Include fresh fruits. Especially apples and pears
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day. Limit liquid for / after dinner because you may have to interrupt your sleep for Loo
- Include foods which are rich in calcium and magnesium, as they are self seductive.
- Include whole wheat, pulses, oat meal.
You may also enjoy reading –
- Food Fads-Organic Food and Glutten Free Food
- How To Reduce Cholesterol Levels
- Nature’s Best Zero Carb Isopure Review
- Steamed Fish With Mint Sauce | Paleo /Wheat Belly Fish Recipe
- Weight Loss With Acai Berry
- Broccoli And Pineapple Smoothie Recipe For Weight Loss
- Top Health Benefits Of Fenugreek/Methi Seeds
- My Weight Loss Journey
- How To Gain Weight | Ways To Gain Weight
- Health Benefits Of Sprouts and Sprouting At Home
- Health Benefits Of Ginger And Ginger Recipes
- Sauteed Vegetables With Pepper | Healthy Recipe