Low Carb Crispy Eggplant Fry Recipe
Crispy Eggplant fries also known as Aubergine Fry or Begun Bhaja is a famous Bengali Recipe. As you all must know that I follow a protein rich low carb diet and these Crispy Aubergine Fries fit in perfectly in my diet plan. It is easy to make and tastes good.
Before I share the recipe with you all, I would first want to share the few Nutritional facts about Eggplant/Aubergine.
Eggplant is a very low calorie vegetable and has a healthy nutrition profile. This veggie is popularly known as Aubergine in the western world.
- Eggplant is very low in calories and fats but rich in soluble fiber content. 100 g provides just 24 calories but contributes about 9% of RDA (recommended daily allowance) of fiber.
- Research studies conducted at the Institute of Biology ofSão Paulo State University; Brazil suggested that eggplant is effective to control high blood cholesterol.
- The peel or skin (deep blue/purple varieties) of Aubergine has significant amounts of phenolic flavonoid phyto-chemicals called Anthocyanins. Scientific studies have shown that these anti-oxidants have potential health effects against cancer, aging, inflammation, and neurological diseases.
- Total antioxidant strength measured in terms ofoxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORAC) of aubergines is 993 µmol TE/100 g. At value 15; they are one of the low glycemic index (GI) vegetables.
- It contains good amounts of many essential B-complex groups of vitamins such as pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), pyridoxine (vitamin B6) and thiamin (vitamin B1), niacin (B3). These vitamins are essential in the sense that body requires them from external sources to replenish and required for fat, protein and carbohydrate metabolism.
- Further, this vegetable is an also good source of minerals like manganese, copper, iron and potassium. Manganese is used as a co-factor for the antioxidant enzyme,superoxide dismutase. Potassium is an important intracellular electrolyte that helps counter pressing (hypertension) effects of sodium.
Carbohydrate and Fiber Counts for Eggplant
- ½ cup raw eggplant, cubed:1 gram effective (net) carbohydrate plus 1.5 grams fiber and 10 calories
- ½ cup boiled cubed eggplant:3 grams effective (net) carbohydrate plus 1 gram fiber and 17 calories
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled (about 1 lb. after peeling):10 grams effective (net) carbohydrate plus 16 grams fiber and 110 calories
- 1 medium eggplant, unpeeled (about 1¼ lb.):13 grams effective (net) carbohydrate plus 19 grams fiber and 132 calories
All these not only make eggplant a healthy veggie to have but also a great bet for weight watchers and low carb dieters.
Now that I have shared the nutritional facts of Eggplant which must have by now convinced you to have eggplants even if you do not like them much, here is the easy recipe of the yummy Crispy Eggplant Fry.
- 1 Aubergine
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Sambar powder (optional)
- ½ tsp Roasted fennel powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Olive oil
- Salt to taste
Cut aubergine/eggplant into thin slices. Thick slices will take more time to cook and sometimes results in uneven cooking & not allow them to be very crispy.
Mix salt & turmeric together and coat eggplant slices on both side. Set it aside for 10 minutes. This will ooze out water from the eggplant slices which will help in better binding of seasoning further.
Mix salt garam masala, sambar powder (optional), chilli powder and roasted fennel powder. Now coat each eggplant slice from both sides with this masala mixture.
Pre-heat air fryer at 180 degrees Celsius for ten minutes and in the meanwhile brush the eggplant slices with olive oil from both the sides. Now keep the eggplant slices in the air fryer for another ten minutes. They will turn out very crispy.
- Ensure that you do not pile up the eggplant slices in the air fryer, instead place them separately not one on one.
- If you do not have air fryer then you can also fry roast them on a griddle, just brush the eggplant slices with mustard oil from both the sides and fry roast them on a pre-heated griddle.
- For thicker marination you can also add wheat flour or rice flour or chickpea flour at Step 3.
Wasn’t this recipe easy? So wait not any further and try out this healthy and yummy crispy eggplant fry recipe.
You may also like reading-