Nutrition Facts And Health Benefits Of Bottle Gourd
Bottle gourd is called ‘lauki’ in Hindi. All those who run away from bottle gourd please raise your hands! This post is especially for you. You should know the nutritional profile of the much ignored lauki (bottle gourd) and then decide whether you want to eat it or not. By the way my mom makes lovely lauki 🙂
Ok so bottle gourd is a very well known Indian vegetable. Come summer and you will see bottle gourd throng the vegetable market. Bottle gourd has a light green coloured skin with a white coloured flesh inside. This vegetable is great for summers as it has 96% water content in it. It provides some respite from the heat.
Always make sure that the bottle gourd you are going to consume is not bitter. If it is so don’t use it as it can cause damage to the digestive system.
Health benefits of bottle gourd
- In Ayurveda bottle gourd is recommended for better digestion. It has a cooling and calming effect.
- It is also diuretic (promotes production of urine).
- Similar to cranberries, bottle gourd gives support to the urinary system and also reduces the chances of getting urinary infection. It is alkaline in nature so it keeps the acidity of urine in check.
- The bottle gourd juice is extremely famous for weight loss. The low calories in it make it one of the best vegetable for dieters. The fibre in it will keep a person full for long so the frequency of hunger will be less.
- Bottle gourd is known for reducing high blood pressure.
- It keeps the heart healthy.
- It is beneficial for diabetic patients as it relieves them from excessive thirst.
- The vegetable has dietary fiber and it is good for the health of the digestive tract.
- It fights gas trouble and eases constipation.
- When people suffer from diarrhea they are given bottle gourd juice with a pinch of sea salt as a remedy in order to maintain the body’s electrolyte balance.
- It is sedative too and is known to keep stress at bay.
Nutrition facts of bottle gourd
The following table provides all the nutrition facts of 100 g of bottle gourd (cooked)
100 g of the cooked vegetable has just 15 calories! A great option for those who want to lose weight! Extremely low in fat, just 0.02g for 100 gms of the vegetable. It is high in potassium(170 mg) and a little sodium(2 mg). It has 1.2 g of dietary fibre. The carb content is just 3.69 g for 100 g of cooked bottle gourd. So Net Carb is 2.5 g approximately.
There are a lot of ways in which you can include bottle gourd in your diet.
After knowing the nutrition facts of bottle gourd, I am sure you are going to include it in your diet.
You may also like reading-
- Why Is Reusing Oil Dangerous For Health
- Have PCOS? Try Chasteberry/Vitex Agnus-Castus
- Health Benefits Of Fish To Lower Heart Problems
- 10 Worst Low Carb Mistakes
- How To Control Gout Through Diet
- Why Protein Is Required For Faster Weight Loss
- World No Tobacco Day 2014 Results-More Women Smoking
- Top 7 Ways To Prevent Depression Naturally
- Easy And Instant Low Carb Fish Fry Recipe With Ready To Cook Spice Mix
- Health Benefits Of Eating Salad Before A Meal
- Yogurt Diet For Weight Loss