Nutrition Facts & Health Benefits Of Carrot And Radish
Carrots and radish are staple vegetables when it comes to salads. Both are root vegetables. Let me throw some light on their nutrients and health benefits.
Carrots are sweet in taste and delicious. They vary in colour and are tapering with a tail like end. The well known Asian carrot is saffron in colour.
Health benefits of carrots
- Carrots are quite rich in anti-oxidants, vitamins and also dietary fibre.
- They are a rich source of carotenes and vitamin-A. Beta-carotene is a powerful anti-oxidant that fights against free radicals.
- Studies have found that flavonoids present in carrots help protect from cancers of skin, lung and oral cavity.
- A compound called falcarinol found in carrots is known to fight cancer.
- Fresh carrots are rich in vitamin C. It is antioxidant in nature.
- Being rich in the B- complex vitamins carrots aids in the body’s metabolism.
- Carrots are also rich in minerals namely: calcium, phosphorus, potassium, copper and manganese.
Nutrition facts of carrot
Net carbs- 6.78 g
Carrots provide only 41 calories per 100 g, negligible amount of fat and no cholesterol.
The total carb content is 9.58 g per 100 g of carrots. Net carbs are 6.78 g per 100 g
These are good sources of potassium with 320 mg per 100 g of carrots.
It has dietary fibre too, to the tune of 2.8 g per 100 g.
Coming to the vitamin content, it has 334% RDA of vitamin A. Way to go carrot!! That is why doctors ask us to eat lots of carrots for the health of the eyes. Vitamin C present is 9% of RDA.
Radish is a root vegetable and is known to be very good for health. It can have a white or red coloured skin. There is also a black Spanish variety, a green Chinese variety and a purple coloured variety. In India the white or red ones are common. It can be elongated or round in shape.
Health benefits of radish
- According to the Chinese culture eating radish brings wholesome health.
- Radish is a wonderful source of anti-oxidants, electrolytes, minerals, vitamins and dietary fibre.
- Radish contains an anti-oxidant compound called sulforaphane. Studies say that sulforaphane has a proven role against certain cancers because of its ability to inhibit cancer-cell growth.
- It is rich in vitamin C which is a powerful water soluble anti-oxidant. It boosts the body’s immunity, helps in getting rid of harmful free radicals, it prevents cancers and inflammation.
- It also contains adequate levels of vitamin B-6, folates, riboflavin, thiamin. The minerals include iron, copper, magnesium and calcium.
- It contains phytochemicals that are detoxifying agents.
Nutrition facts of Radish
Net carbs- 1.8 g
Radishes are one of the very low calorie root vegetables. Fresh root provides only 16 calories per 100 g. It has a lot of water content in it too.
It is low in carbs too as it has just 3.4 gram of total carb per 100 g. The Net carbs are just 1.8 g.
Fresh roots are a good source of vitamin C. They provide about 25% RDA of vitamin C per 100 g.
Found Nutrition Facts & Health Benefits Of Carrot And Radish useful?
You may also like reading-
- Nutrition Facts And Health Benefits Of Bottle Gourd (Lauki)
- Nutrition Facts And Health Benefits Of Eggplant/Brinjal
- Nutrition Facts And Health Benefits Of Zucchini(Turai)
- Nutrition Facts And Health Benefits Of Bell Peppers-Green and Red
- Nutrition Facts-Amul Cheese Vs Britannia Cheese Vs Paneer(cottage cheese)
- Why Listening To Music Is Great For Health?
- Top 5 Nutrition Myths Busted
- Fitness-Can Stretching hurt you?
- Low Carb Indian Recipe-Mint And Coriander Fish Tikka
- All About Jilian Michaels 30 Day Shred
- Top 5 Ways To Tone Abs Without Crunches
- Fish Recipe-Mackerel In Raw Mango And Garlic Pepper Sauce
- How To Lose Weight Every Hour
- How I Reached From 80 Kg to 62 Kg-My Weight Loss Story
- How To Choose Right Running Shoe For Your Foot Type