Nutrition Facts Of Leafy Greens -Spinach,Fenugreek,Mustard,Amaranth(chaulai)
Do you ensure that greens are a part of your diet? Nutritionists recognize green leafy vegetables as one of the most inexpensive sources of so many essential nutrients. This post aims at providing nutrition facts of Greens – Spinach, Fenugreek , Mustard, Amaranth (chaulai).
First let us look at the health benefits that are offered by green leafy vegetables in general.
Health Benefits of Greens
- Being low in calories they are perfect for weight management.
- They reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer. Having one extra serving of greens reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease by 11%.
- Green leafy veggies are rich in fibre, vitamin C, folic acid, magnesium, potassium and phyto chemicals.
- These are good for individual suffering from type 2 diabetes as they are rich in magnesium and have low GI. If healthy individuals increase one serving of green in a day then they can lower the risk of diabetes by 9%.
- Greens have a high content of vitamin K which is essential for bone health. Consuming more greens decreases the chances of fractures in middle aged women.
- Green leafy veggies are a rich source of calcium and iron. They are also rich in vitamin A which is essential for vision and immunity.
- They also happen to contain antioxidants that fight free radicals and protect from cancer.
- Eating three or more servings of greens can reduce the risk of cancer of the stomach which is the 4th most common cancer in the world.
Nutrition facts of spinach
Net carbs- 1.43 g
Spinach is low in calories and fat with zero cholesterol. It has high potassium content. It is low in carbs too, it has a net carbs content of 1.43 g.
Nutrition facts of mustard greens
Steamed mustard has cholesterol lowering abilities. Steamed mustard greens show a much greater ability to bind bile acid than raw mustard greens.
Try purchasing mustard greens that are free from any kind of yellowing or brownish spots. You can store them in a plastic bag after removing its air. You can then store them in the fridge to keep them fresh for 3-4 days.
Certain cooking ideas with mustard greens
- It would be a great idea to add tender mustard greens to salads.
- They can a great side dish with roti if you want it to cook the Indian way! ‘Sarson ka sag and makki ki roti’ (Mustard greens with maize flour rotis).
- They can be stir fried with other ingredients.
- Add chopped mustard greens to your pasta to make it more nutritious. Whole wheat pasta remember!
Net carbs- 1.47 g
Mustard greens are low in calories and fat with zero cholesterol. It has high potassium content. It is low in carbs too, with net carbs just 1.47 g.
Nutrition facts of fenugreek greens
Fenugreek greens called ‘methi’ in Hindi have a distinct and slightly bitter flavour. It is an essential ingredient in many Indian dishes. It has a lot of health benefits.
Net carbs- 1 g
Fenugreek greens are low in calories and fat with zero cholesterol. It has high potassium content. It is low in carbs too, with only 1 g of net carbs in a 100 g serving.
Nutrition facts of amaranth greens
Amaranth greens or Chaulai are a common greens used in Indian cuisine. These leaves have streaks of red and purple in them.
Chaulai is low in calories and fat with zero cholesterol. It has high potassium content. It is low in carbs too.
So, this post was about greens. Before consuming greens of any kind do make sure that you wash the leaves properly. The leaves are known to have disease causing microbes that can cause harm if the greens are not cleaned properly before cooking.
Did you find this post on Nutrition Facts Of Leafy Greens useful?
You may also like reading-
- Top Foods Weight Watcher’s Fridge Must Have
- How Excessive Sugar Intake Causes Heart Diseases & Cancer
- Is Spicy Food Healthy or Harmful?
- Benefits Of Wheatgrass Juice In Weight Loss
- Have Belly Fat? Fix Your Fatty Liver
- Healthy Eating Rules To Follow At Every Meal
- The Skinny Jeans Workout
- 11 Reasons For Being Unable To Lose Belly Fat
- Importance Of Detoxification And How To Detoxify
- 5 Ways To Remain Naturally Fit