Top Health Benefits Of Kale
I wrote this post lat night and I was oooooooooooh so tired ! But still , I could not stay away from writing , making you read and boring you to the core 😛 . This blog has become my voice ! Hear me all the time, won’t you ?
This post is about another superfood – Kale ! This veggie belongs to the family of cabbage. Like Broccoli, Kale is packed with nutrients. I shall let you know health benefits of Kale without boring you a lot :P. The reason is one – I am too tired and two – Kale is a must if you are a veggie ! You don’t need reasons to include it in your diet, period ! Let’s see how it can help us to become healthy –
Top Health Benefits Of Kale
1. Kale is low in calories. One cup of Kale has approximately 36 calories. Weight watchers , are you paying attention ?
2. High in fiber – 5 grams of fiber in a cup !
3. No fat
4. Great for digestion
5. Rich in Iron. Kale is a must have food for anemic people.
6. High in Vitamin A and Vitamin C. N you thought only citrus fruits are rich in Vitamin C 😉
7. Rich in calcium – Don’t be shocked when you read this. Kale has more calcium per calorie as compared to milk.
8. Kale contains Antioxidants – carotenoids and flavonoids that help protect against various cancers.
9. Kale has anti-inflammatory properties , just like brown rice.
10. Kale promotes lowering of cholesterol. If you have high cholesterol, please read here.
11. Great for detox- the buzz word !
12. Rich in Pottasium
13. Rich in Manganese
Before you start posing questions how much potassium or manganese, let’s check Kale’s nutritional information(per 100 gms) –
(Source: USDA National Nutrient data base)
Few Tips to include Kale in your diet
Kale is a quickly perishable veggie, so use it before you touch something else from your grocery shopping. Don’t keep it in refrigertator for more than 4-5 days. The more days it lies unused, the more bitter it becomes !
Kale with smaller leaves is tender and digested easily unlike the one with bigger leaves.
Wash it with running water to remove soil, dirt etc. Wash only before use since water can spoil Kale.
Kale if not organic, might be extremely subjected to pesticides. So beware.
Few recipes in which you can add Kale – soups, salad, pizza , pasta. Kale chips and juice are also very popular.
Now the tricky part. If you have thyroid , stay away from it ! There are studies which mention that Kale is goitrogenic. This simply means it interferes with the functioning of thyroid gland. Although the studies are controversial, still I would suggest that if you have thyroid, avoid Kale.
Before I doze off on my lappi, take good care of yourself ! Luv – Tarun
Do you know of some Kale recipes ? Have you used Kale and lost weight ? Share with us !
You may also like reading –
- How To Calculate Ideal Body Weight Using BMI
- Weight Loss : Spot Reduction Myth or Truth ?
- Lose Weight With High Intensity Interval Training
- Herbalife Weight Loss Success Story – By Jaanu
- Pica in Kids and Women | How To Handle Pica
- 6 Ways for Eating Healthy While Eating Out
- DIY : Cinnamon Tea for Weight Loss
- Indian Vegetarian GM Diet For Quick Weight Loss | Day 7 Experience
- What To Eat In A High Protein Low Carb Diet (India)
- Best Sugar Substitutes | Stevia Sweetener Review
- Best Ways to Overcome Exercise Excuses
- 7 Weight Loss Myths and Facts