Weight Loss After 40 Is Not Impossible
Hieee Very soon I will very proudly turn 48, Well am I scared!! Yes , scared that another two years in line will make me celebrate Golden Jubilee. Aaghh!! Who cares?? At least not me. I mean not me now but three years back I was not able to sleep in peace thinking, ” How will I be able to lose so much of weight? (40 kg to be precise), and I had heard so much about how it was next to impossible to lose weight after 40 years of age, but then after that first step now with only ten kg left to be shed, I am at peace with myself.
At peace, not because I am done with my weight loss journey, no but because I know if I am serious about my health as well as inner joy then I can lose those left over 10 kg too. It might take some time but it will happen soon.
Every year, as a woman increases in age the needle on the scale too starts moving faster and becoming harder to budge. We try hard to cut back on portion size; say “No” to puddings; sign up for gym memberships but the dress size never stops increasing. The only thing that decreases is our energy level and self esteem.
Turning 40 makes our bodies go through so many changes that every thing gets affected in a negative way. Our digestion, metabolism, and most of the bodily functions go for a six. All this happens because of the hormonal changes our bodies go through. Now the point is that what should we do keep all the above mentioned issues under control? Here are a few tips to stay healthy, fit and kicking even after turning the dreaded 40+.
Adjust to the new biological rhythms of the body.
Acquiring weight is extremely easy as consuming just 100 extra calories a day leads to 4-5 kg weight gain over an year. Are those 100 calories really much !! Well, no just a small bar of chocolate or a small bottle of soda!!! So it becomes a big challenge to bring the ‘calorie in – calorie out‘ formula into balance. What needs to be done here is:
- Make a list of which habits of ours work for us, and which don’t.
- What can we do to build our new healthy habits.
- Find out the new after 40 BMR using interactive online BMR Calculator. Thus if our activity level changes, we must re-adjust our calories accordingly to achieve weight loss goals. These calories would be the amount of calories we should consume in order to maintain our current weight or for weight loss. What actually needed is to know about creating an effective calorie deficit.
- Make sure to rev up slowing metabolism by including plenty of fiber and protein to your daily diet. There are many foods that can give metabolism that extra little boost for example eggs, oats and yogurt.
- Getting calcium regularly is especially important for women over 40. As we near menopause, it’s critical to take more care in eating healthy and providing needed vitamins and minerals. It is not uncommon to gain weight before, during and after menopause.
We the over 40 women must do at least 45 minutes of aerobic physical activity five or six times a week and 30 minutes of strength training twice a week. Training with weights stimulates muscles to adapt and grow stronger to support our stronger muscles. It doesn’t matter what time of the day we exercise because an exercise is an exercise and equally beneficial done at any time of the day. It can be as simple as a brisk walk outside or lifting light weights. (I love walking around my society road late at night with ankle and wrist weights.)
As we age, we begin to lose muscle mass and this becomes one of the main reasons for slower metabolism and weight gain. The more muscle mass we have, the higher our basal metabolic rate will be. Moreover regular exercise and activity helps slow down the loss of bone and muscle strength. Adopting a regular exercise routine will not only help strengthen muscles but will speed up metabolism and burn more calories.
Sleep better to lose better.
Crossing 40 means sleep getting all the more elusive, not because we are more stressed or busier but because of those multiple physical issues, starting from back pain to snoring to night sweats. All these are hindrances for a good night sleep yet getting a good night’s sleep is one of the keys to losing weight. Isn’t it ironical?
In recent years, significant research has shown that lack of sleep is directly connected to weight gain because of the actions of two hormones, leptin and ghrelin, that control hunger and satiety. When we are sleep deprived, ghrelin levels increase at the same time that leptin levels decrease. The result is more craving, less feeling full. No wonder the sleep-deprived people often crave “energy” foods, which tend to be mostly sweet and major reason for weight gain.
Recent studies have shown that our bodies are most metabolically active while we sleep, and that sleeping less than six hours impairs glucose tolerance, leading to diabetes. So the longer we sleep, the more efficiently our inner fat-burning and sugar-processing engines function.
Make slow and realistic changes.
Studies have proved that taking a slow-but-steady approach is always better to keep those extra kilos off in a better way. What we need to remind ourselves is that we are the only ones in charge of our metabolic engine. we are the ones who can decide whether to focus on cutting down the number of calories we are consuming, or on upping the number we are burning. Do what suits you best and makes you happy.
If six half-hour walks a week is what keeps you active and kicking then that’s a good choice; but if you can only manage three, do that. our primary aim should be making small, gradual lifestyle changes that we can incorporate into our daily routine and stick with it over the period of time. That’s the ultimate secret of staying happy and healthy while fighting that battle of bulges after 40.
Do you agree that weight loss after 40 is not impossible? Are you ready to face your after 40 phase head on like me?
You may also like to know about :
- Why is Fibre Good For Health?
- How To Get Maximum Weight Loss Benefits From Intervals?
- 14 Reasons Behind Weight Loss Plateau
- How To Reduce Belly Fat ?
- Best Mantra For Weight Loss
- Weight Loss-Why No Results Despite Workout?
- 12 Coconut Chutney Recipes For Weight Loss
- Oats:Natural Weight Loss Food
- How To Beat Menopausal Weight Gain
- Do At Home Legs Workout-Beginner and Intermediate Level
- Does Steam Bath Help In Weight Loss?
- How To Burn 100 Calories Without Exercising
- Does Eating Slow Help In Weight Loss ?
- Top 6 Types Of Crunches For Flat Tummy