Why Is Vitamin E Important?
I am back with another Vitamin! This time it is Vitamin E. It is fat-soluble, that means the body stores and uses it as needed. Vitamin E is an antioxidant. Let us explore it further.
Why Is Vitamin E Important?
Vitamin E is essential for the body because of the numerous health benefits it has to offer.
- Longer Cell Life-When body cells are exposed to free radicals, a process of oxidation and speeded up aging takes place. The free radicals damage healthy cells of the body and that is linked to cancer and heart disease. Vitamin E being a really powerful antioxidant reduces the damage caused by free radicals and slows down the process of cell aging.
- Boosts immunity -The body needs vitamin E to boost its immune system so that it can fight against disease causing bacteria and viruses.
- Helps in formation of red blood cells.
- Healthy skin- The vitamin is found in most beauty products as it is an antioxidant that lessens the effects of oxidation. The skin thus looks youthful.
- Blood vessels are widened with the help of this vitamin and blood clotting inside the vessels is also prevented.
- Vitamin E helps the cells to interact with each other and carry out other important functions.
- It prevents high blood pressure.
- It is helpful for patients with type 2 diabetes as it lessens oxidative stress that is created due to increased blood sugar.
- Vitamin E prevents several types of cancers.
- It is used to treat the diseases of the nervous system too. The list include Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.
- It is said that vitamin E improves physical energy and reduces muscle damage post exercise. This improves the strength of muscles.
- Vitamin E reduces the risk of diseases of the eye.
Foods rich in vitamin E
Well, coming to the food sources of vitamin E, green leafy vegetables are found to be some of the excellent sources. The list of green leafy and other veggies includes:
- Mustard and turnip greens
- Green beans
Coming to other sources, we have nuts and seeds like:
- Sunflower seed
Next category of fruits includes:
Seafood is also a good source of the vitamin:
- Fishes like Salmon, Sardine and Cod
When it comes to oils, olive oil is a good source of the vitamin.
How to include vitamin E rich food in your diet?
That is pretty simple.
- You can make smoothies out of fruits like raspberries and cranberries.
- When you make salads, use olive oil for the dressing.
- You can snack on sunflower seeds, almonds and peanuts.
- Use lots of green leafy vegetables in the main course.
You need to be a little careful here as you may keep gorging on vitamin E rich food and not pay attention to the fat content. Be careful with the calorie part!! Choose more of the greens.
So, stay healthy and fit!
Now you know the food sources of vitamin E and why it is important.
You may also like reading-