Why Women Gain Weight As They Age
I have seen my mother and aunts being thin at the time of their wedding (photos of course 🙂 ) , and then I have witnessed their weight gain post babies and as age advanced. Now the question here is why do women gain weight as they age? Come let us unravel!!!
Why women gain weight as they age?
Hormonal imbalances can be one of the main culprits of weight gain in women. In a woman’s body (the ovaries to be precise) a hormone called estrogen is produced. This hormone supports cell growth and the division of cells. In excess amounts it contributes in fat tissue formation. Progesterone is another hormone that acts as an opponent to estrogen. Both the hormones work in a synchronized manner to maintain a hormonal balance.
As age advances, both the hormones decline gradually. Rapid declines occur in women who are in premenopausal and menopausal years. The decline in the hormone progesterone occurs faster than that of estrogen. There is an inequality resulting in more estrogen in the body and as a result there is an excessive growth of fat tissue.
This hormonal imbalance is normal and occurs in every woman’s body but the weight gain is further accelerated by certain lifestyle/dietary factors. These factors increase the estrogen in the body and they are as follows:
- Pesticides and herbicides. Choose organic fruits and vegetables so that you are sure that they are free of the pesticides. If you happen to buy non-organic stuff ensure you soak them well in water and wash them properly.
- Chemicals found in consumer products- Yes, certain daily use products like creams, lotions, soaps, shampoos, hair sprays, perfumes and deodorizers have chemicals that increase estrogen in the body.
- Poultry raised on hormones. Don’t consume meat of animals raised on hormones. Eat free-range or grass-fed animals. If you are not sure then go in for fish instead.
- Industrial solvents- How does this affect women? Well, it is found in glues, varnishes, paints, fingernail polish and fingernail polish remover. Women love doing their nails!! Even I do! The exposure to such chemicals has to be limited. One way out is painting your nails in the open air. It is the same for other chemicals too, use them in an open space.
- Calorie over consumption. Consuming too many calories can cause body fat. Choose foods that are higher in proteins, healthy fats and fiber so that they fill you up easily.
- Stress and lack of sleep. This decreases progesterone output. Try doing yoga, deep breathing and meditation to relieve stress. Also a calming walk in the park can do wonders. To sleep better stop using the laptop, cell phone or TV before bedtime. Make your room sleep friendly by making it dark and quiet.
- Poor liver functioning due to high alcohol intake or use of medicines. The liver metabolizes estrogen, so good care should be taken of it. Limit your alcohol intake and don’t gulp down medicines unless it is very necessary. Try keeping your liver healthy.
- Magnesium deficiencies – The liver metabolizes estrogen with the help of magnesium. Include magnesium rich food in your diet.
The elderly women can follow the above guidelines to keep unwanted fat at bay.
Now you have a rough idea of why women gain weight as they age !
You may also like reading:
- Top 7 Ways To Prevent Depression Naturally
- Easy And Instant Low Carb Fish Fry Recipe With Ready To Cook Spice Mix
- Health Benefits Of Eating Salad Before A Meal
- Yogurt Diet For Weight Loss
- Vegetarian 1000 Island Salad Dressing India
- 4 Simple Ways To Lose Weight At Home
- How To Re-energize Yourself When Tired
- How To Get Rid Of Love Handles
- How To Eat Healthy At An Italian Restaurant
- The Dukan Diet For Weight Loss
- Workout For A Perfect Bikini Body In 4 Weeks
- 30 Minutes Full Body Workout For Busy Women
- 4 Easy Low Carb Cabbage Rolls Recipes
- Why Women Must Lose Weight Before Pregnancy
- 5 Must Have Seeds In Your Diet