Why Zika Virus is a worldwide concern?
According to the latest report of W.H.O, mosquito borne Zika virus is spreading globally leaving great concern in the minds of the people. This virus was reported several times before 2015 but the alert was issued for the first time by PAHO (Pan American Health Organization) in May 2015 after receiving the confirmation of Zika virus infection in Brazil for the first time. It is widely spreading in various countries but the major impact of this virus is seen in United States. Because of its great impact in and around areas of United States, people going and returning from United States are more likely to carry the infection of this virus.
How is Zika Virus Transmitted?
Possibly, there can be three ways of transmission of Zika Virus:
- Through Mosquito Bites: The major source of transmission of Zika virus is through the bite of an infected mosquito (Aedes species). Infected mosquito spread the virus from one person to another after feeding on any infected person. This is the same species of mosquito which is responsible for transmission of Dengue and Chikungunya virus.
- Mother to Child: This is a very rare case of transmission. Mother infected with Zika virus could possibly pass the virus from mother womb’s to child during pregnancy.
- Infected Blood: Zika virus can even spread from infected blood or through sexual contact with the person infected with this virus.
Symptoms of Zika Virus:
There are certain symptoms which are clearly seen among the people infected with Zika Virus:
Most common symptoms include:
- Mild fever
- Skin rashes
- Joint pain
- Conjunctivitis (redness near the eyes)
These symptoms last for 2-7 days after biting with infected mosquito carrying Zika Virus. The disease is very mild, but the most common reaction seen among the people infected with this virus is illness. Possibly one out of the four will develop the symptoms of this disease. Deaths are very rare and are not reportedly frequently.
Diagnosis of Zika Virus:
There can be several methods through which diagnosis of Zika virus can be carried out:
- Clinical Symptoms.
- Epidemiological circumstances (It is usually seen that the people will likely to carry this virus if they have returned or going into the area where the virus is circulating).
- Several Blood tests to know the existence of this virus in the body of the individual.
- PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) is very useful method of diagnosing this disease but can be done only after being infected.
Treatment of Zika Virus:
There is no vaccine or drug available in the market to treat Zika virus infections. But to relieve the patient from the symptoms that are causing inconvenience to him/her, several treatments can be done:
- Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration.
- To relieve from pain and fever, medicines should be taken along with rest.
Prevention of Zika Virus:
The most common way of preventing this disease is reducing and eliminating the mosquito population (Aedes species) responsible for the widely spread of virus. This can be done by following mentioned ways:
- Do not allow standing stagnant water in outdoor areas.
- There should be cleanliness in and around the surroundings. Garbage should not be accumulated.
- Usage of mosquito nets and screens is highly recommended at the night time.
Hope this post has been informative!
You may also like reading-