Since the time humans have started paying attention to a number called “Weight” , BMI has been the go to tool to decide whether a person is healthy or not.
BMI , body mass index depends on 2 things Height and Weight.
BMI which is
<18.5 – Underweight
<25 – Normal
25-30 – Overweight
>30 – Obese
Read more about BMI here.
Another alternative to measure ideal weight and health is Body Fat Percentage. This is relatively new kid in town.
Now the question arises –
BMI or Body Fat Percentage-Which is better?
A lot of experts have questioned whether BMI is an accurate tool for measuring people’s state of health. You may ask why ! Its very simple. A sportsperson and a sedentary person can have same BMI ! How cruel is that 😀 ?
Body Fat percentage on the other hand, is measured by using calipers or methods like DEXA scan or bioelectrical impedance analysis.
BMI just cares about height and weight whereas body fat index tells you exactly how much fat your body has. A person with high bone density could have a high BMI but his/her body fat percentage will exactly describe his/her health and fitness level.
What is the ideal body fat percentage?
Men and women are different and so are their need body fat percentage changes which changes with age.
Age 20-40 years – 8-19%. Above 25% indicates obesity.
Age 41-60 years – 11-22%.Above 27% is a cause for concern.
Age 61-79 years – 13-25% body fat. Above 30% indicates obesity.
Age 20-40 years – 21-33%. Above 39% indicates obesity.
Age 41-60 years – 23-35%. Above 40% indicates obesity.
Age 61-79 years – 25-37% body fat. Above 42% indicates obesity.
The below chart will give you an idea how shape of your body varies with increasing body fat percentage.
Therefore, Body fat percentage is a more accurate but like I said, it needs callipers or technological method. Could be expensive as well. BMI on the other hand, is non fussy and inexpensive , though may not be an accurate measure of your health and fitness level !
You may also like reading –
- Low Carb Cauliflower & Cheese Bites – Low Carb Snacks
- Yoga Poses For Toned Legs
- How To Control Weight After Marriage
- Stretch Marks: Causes, Myths, Home Remedies for Treatment and Prevention
- Scallops – The World’s Healthiest Foods
- Importance Of Sleep For Health
- Anti Inflammatory Diet – Which Foods To Eat
- Health Benefits Of Green Chilli
- Women’s Health and Self-Assessment
- New Year Resolutions 2014
- Why Women Must Lift Weights?
- Stress Management : 8 Ways To Reduce Stress
- IWB 1 Month 4 Kgs Weight Loss : Diet Plan Week 4