The Buteyko Breathing Method For Good Health
Do you breathe correctly? Do you know that the way you breathe can affect your health? It might sound funny but it essential to breathe right. There is a breathing method called the Buteyko Breathing Method that is strong enough to reverse the health problems faced by individuals due to improper breathing.
Improper breathing, now what is that?
By improper breathing it is meant that a person may be either be overbreathing or mouthbreathing or be doing both 😛
Characteristics of overbreathing are:
- Mouth breathing
- Upper chest breathing
- Taking large breaths prior to talking
- Noticeable breathing during rest
Have any such people around you falling in these categories? 🙂
Why do we over breathe?
The following can make you over breathe:
- Consumption of processed food
- Eating high protein, high grain meal
The Buteyko Method can teach you how to reverse chronic overbreathing.
The Buteyko Breathing Method is good for health
The Buteyko Method is based upon the fact that you need food, water, and air to survive. Obviously, the quality of all the 3 should be good but when it comes to air, very few people consider the quantity. The quantity of air breathed has a huge impact on health!
When our breathing is normal, there will be better oxygenation of tissues and organs, including the brain.
In Buteyko method, the main focus is on
- Nasal breathing- This ensures that the air is humidified, warmed, and cleaned before entering the lungs.
- Reduced breathing.
Buteyko Breathing Method is useful in treating hypertension and asthma. Also this breathing method helps in treating sleep apnea and anxiety.
You can reverse mouth breathing by this exercise.
- Take a short gentle breath in through the nose and breathe out in the same gentle and short manner.
- Hold the nose while you gently nod your head up and down.
- Hold your breath as long as you can.
- Release the nose and breathe through it again.
- After 30 secs repeat the exercise.
A word of caution: This is perfectly safe for most people but pregnant women, people who have panic attacks and people with cardiac troubles, high BP, type 1 diabetes should not hold their breath beyond their first urge to breathe.
There is another tool in Buteyko breathing called the control pause which gives a feedback about your breathing volume.
Before measuring one needs to rest for at least ten minutes.
- Breathe in and breathe out through your nose. Keep it small and silent.
- Now prevent air from entering the lungs by holding your nose.
- Count the no of secs till you have the first urge to breathe.
- When you have the first desire to breathe in you may also feel involuntary movement of the breathing muscles, your stomach may jerk and the area around your neck will contract.
- At the end of the breath, inhale in a calm manner.
- After releasing your nose, breathe in through it.
You are supposed to hold your breath only till the fist urge to breath and not beyond that.
Control pause of 40 seconds- Very good
Control pause of 30 seconds- Good
Control pause of 25 seconds- you can improve
Control pause of 15 seconds- indicates respiratory trouble or anxiety
Exercise to control panic attacks and anxiety
At times we all tend to get anxious and stressed out. Our mind begins racing at top speed. For such situations you can try the following exercise:
- Breathe in and breathe out through the nose. Keep the breath small.
- Hold the nose for 5 secs
- Release and resume breathing
- After breathing normally for 10 secs, repeat the same.
This sequence of breathing exercise will help you breathe in a calmer manner and will reduce your anxiety.
Buteyko breathing claims to treat many health conditions but it is not that widely supported by the medical fraternity because it lacks any kind of convincing evidence.
Did you find this post on the Buteyko Breathing Method for good health useful?
You may also like reading-
- The Body Achieves What Mind Believes-Inspiring Weight Loss Story
- Fad Diet Alert-Ice Cream Diet For Weight Loss!
- Food Diary For Weight Loss
- One Minute Tips For Weight Loss
- Women Above 50 Face Low Bone Density Problem-A Myth
- How to be a social butterfly while staying away from calories?
- Are Sweet Potatoes Good For Weight Loss?
- 9 Best Foods To Control Weight After 40
- 6 Mind Blowing Facts About Dreaming
- Feng shui Tips For Weight Loss
- Fats Make You Fit- Do Not Run Away From Them