How To Treat Digestive Problems With Ayurvedic Remedies
Digestive health is the base of skin health and general well being according to the age old wisdom of Ayurveda. Here are 5 very common digestive problems and ways to heal them using Ayurvedic practices.
Heartburn is a condition due to Pitta-imbalance and it can be avoided by following a pitta-pacifying diet. There are several natural cures for heart burn and acidity, here 2 best ones:
1) Add a teaspoon of sugar and 2 pinches of cardamom to one cup of papaya juice. It works really well to treat indigestion and stomach acidity as papaya has an enzyme ‘papain’ that is a digestive aid.
2) Breathing exercise: Curl your tongue and inhale for 4 seconds. Then exhale through the nostrils for about 6 seconds. Keep repeating this for a few mins.
Eating rich foods and overeating can lead to indigestion. The preventive measures are to avoid overeating and chewing your food properly. Having garlic before your meal and a glass of buttermilk after the meal is great for your digestive system. Now, when you are down with indigestion try the following remedies:
1) Squeeze a quarter lemon in a glass of warm water and drink it up. You will get relief.
2) Do Yoga. He hero pose or Virasana and the lotus pose or Padmasana are great to help digest your food.
Gas and bloating
According to Ayurveda, the influence of Vata causes the build up of gas in the colon. For prevention you should avoid raw food and certain types of beans.
For those who suffer from bloating and gas, the following remedies would be helpful:
1) Ginger and lemon juice – Take a spoon of ginger pulp an add a teaspoon of lemon juice to it. Have the mixture after eating food. Ginger helps in preventing as well as expelling gas.
2) Yoga – Seated spinal twists, forward bends and the bridge pose are great for getting relief from flatulence and bloating.
Diarrhea is said to occur when the ‘agni’ of gut fire becomes weak. For this a pitta-pacifying diet has to be adopted. However, please visit the doctor if it lasts for a longer time.
You can try the following Ayurvedic remedies
1) Drink buttermilk – You can mix water and yogurt and add some grated ginger and drink the whole glass. The yogurt has good bacteria in it that is good for the gut.
2) Ginger and sugar
Mix half a teaspoon of ginger powder and a teaspoon of sugar. Chew this mixture along with warm water. Repeat this twice or thrice daily.
Constipation is caused due to low intake of water and fibre. Poor exercise habits can also result in constipation. You can prevent constipation by eating warm foods and drinks and adding little oil to your food.
The Ayurvedic remedies for constipation are:
1) Have figs or black raisins. Soak the black raisins overnight and consume them fist thing in the morning. Doing so can help you with regular bowel movements.
2) Milk and ghee – To glass of milk add 1 to 2 teaspoons of ghee and drink it up at bedtime. It is an effective way of relieving constipation.
3) Do Surya Namaskar every day.
So, whenever you have gut problems take the help of Ayurveda and Yoga.
Hope you liked this post on remedies for digestive problems!
You may also like reading-
- Top Remedies For Irregular Periods
- 7 Reasons Why You Got A Late Period
- Weight Gain During Periods-Unraveling The Connection
- How To Handle Painful Periods When You Are In Office?