Food Combination And Time taken By Foods To Get Digested
Food combining is scientifically called ‘Trophology’. It is the science of knowing which foods can be combined with which other foods. Food combining can also mean the combination of foods that are compatible to each other with respect to their digestive chemistry. When we talk about optimal nutrition, food combining is the basic component as it allows the body to digest the food and utilize its nutrients to the full extent.
Food combining has its roots in the theory that different food groups have different digestion times. Digestion can be helped a lot when you consume foods with about the same digestion time. This means that for proper digestion, utilization and assimilation of foods you need correct food combinations.
Digestive chemistry is known to dictate the principles of food combining. Different foods need different digestive enzymes in order to aid the process of digestion. Some are acidic whereas some are alkaline.
Digestion time of different foods
Here is a list of foods and the time they take to get digested.
1) Water, when consumed on an empty stomach, leaves immediately and enters the intestines. No wonder we are asked to drink water the first thing in the morning!
Fruit, veggies and vegetable broth takes 15 to 20 minutes.
Blended salad, veggies and fruits take about 20 to 30 mins.
- Watermelon takes 20 mins to get digested.
- Other melons such as cantaloupes and honeydew take 30 mins.
- Oranges and grapes take 30 mins
- Apples, pears, cherries and peaches get digested in 40 mins.
- Raw tossed salad veggies like tomato, lettuce, cucumber, celery, bell peppers and other succulent veggies take 30 to 40 mins to get digested.
- Steamed or cooked veggies
- Leafy veggies like spinach and kale take 40 mins to get digested. Veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, corn on the cob take about 45 mins to get digested. Root veggies like carrots, beets and turnips take 50 mins to get digested.
- Starchy veggies
6) Grains (concentrated carbs)
Brown rice, millet, buckwheat, oats and cornmeal take 90 mins to get digested.
7) Legumes and beans (concentrated carbs and protein)
Soy beans take 120 mins to get digested.
8) Seeds and nuts
- Seeds like sunflower, pumpkin, sesame take about 2 hours to get digested.
- Nuts such as almonds, raw peanuts, cashews, brazil nuts, walnuts and pecans need 2 ½ to 3 hours to get digested.
- Skimmed milk, cottage or low fat cheese takes 90 mins to get digested
- Whole milk cottage cheese takes 120 minutes to get digested.
- Whole milk hard cheese takes 4 to 5 hours to get digested.
10) Animal proteins
- Egg yolk takes 30 mins to get digested.
- Whole egg takes 45 mins to get digested.
- Fish- 30-60 mins to get digested depending on the variety
- Chicken (without skin) takes 1 ½ to 2 hrs to get digested.
- Turkey (without skin) takes 2 to 2 ¼ hrs to get digested.
- Beef and lamb take 3 to 4 hours to get digested.
- Pork takes 4 1/5 to 5 hours for digestion.
That is all about Food Combining And Digestion Time Of Most Foods!
You may also like reading-
- How Fidgeting Helps You Lose Weight?
- IWB Online Indian Weight Loss Program-Inspiring Success Story
- 7 Vision And Glasses Related Myths Busted!
- Predicting The Top 10 Fitness Trends Of 2016