Food Facts I Bet You Are Not Aware Of!
FOOD! It is the basis of your existence on this planet. Some people live to eat whereas others eat to live! Love it or hate it, you can’t ignore it! More than a necessity, it has become a pleasure these days. Thanks to the internet you can get the recipe of any kind of cuisine you crave for! Now, let us come to the topic! While you may have all the information about food and tasted dishes from all around the globe, here are some food facts that you are not aware of!
These are some really bizarre facts about food so fasten up your seat belts because I going to take you on a roller-coaster food ride.
1) Nutritious food is 10 times more expensive than junk food!
This is because junk food is made with unhealthy ingredients that are quite cheap. For example, maida is cheaper than atta!
2) Chicken has 266% more amount of fat than it did 40 years ago!
People are fattening up the chicken! No further comments on it 😉
3) Potato, tomato and chilli were brought to India by the Portuguese.
So, it is evident that they were not a part of our diet before the Portuguese started ruling.
4) India has the lowest meat consumption per person in the world.
With so many Indians being vegetarians and the meat lovers indulging more on weekends, it isn’t surprising!
5) Honey is the only food that won’t spoil. It can last upto 3000 years!
That sounds like good news. Make sure you buy honey from a trusted brand.
6) Cheese is one food that is stolen the most!
It is delicious and perhaps that is why it is stolen 😛
7) Indian food system classifies food as Saatvic (fresh vegetables and juice), Raajsic (spicy and oily) and Taamsic (Meat and liquor)
What kind of food do you eat? Mine is a mixture of Saatvic and Raajsic 😉
8) Dynamite is made with peanuts
No, don’t worry! Your peanuts won’t explode in the mouth! They are an indirect ingredient in making dynamite. You see dynamite is made out of nitroglycerine. It is an explosive oily liquid made from glycerol. Now enter peanuts. Peanut oil can be used to produce glycerol. Hence, peanuts are linked to the making of dynamite.
9) There is no single food that offers all the nutrients that humans need except for breast milk.
That is why it is said that the baby should drink mother’s milk alone till the age of 6 months. It is considered the best nutrition for the baby.
10) Indian food theory states that there 6 different tastes – Sweet, salty, spicy, bitter, astringent and bitter.
It is said that a complete meal is the one that has all the six different tastes.
11) 100% ‘Real’ juice you buy from the store is 100% artificially flavoured.
So much for the 100% ‘real’ juice claims! It is best to extract fresh juice at home instead of depending on store bought juice.
12) Chocolate was used as a currency once
Seems precious even today! Rich dark chocolate is indeed valuable.
13) Humans crave sugar by birth
We are born that way! Right from infancy we crave sugar!
14) Tomato ketchup was used as a medicine to treat diarrhea way back in 1800s
Hmmm! I thought it was just to add zing to your food!
15) Apples are more effective in waking you up than your cup of coffee
Will you try this?
So, these were some food facts that would not have heard about!
Did you find these food facts interesting?
You may also like reading-
- Ways To Relax After A Busy Day At Work
- Organic India Ashwagandha Review
- Fresh Vs Frozen Veggies And Fruits – Which Is Better?
- Positive Vibes – How To Bring Them Into Your Life?