Health Benefits And Nutrition Facts Of Indian,Chinese Cabbage
The Indian cabbage is a very commonly consumed green leafy vegetable in Indian households. Being low in calories and fat it is ideal for weight watchers! Cabbage can vary in colour from being light green to red.
You can shred it and cook it to make a side dish for rotis or have it as a main meal. The leaves can be steamed and tossed in a salad with minimal dressing.
Health benefits of Indian cabbage:
- It has been found that steamed cabbage is cholesterol-lowering in nature.
- It is good for cardiovascular health.
- Short-cooked cabbage is known to prevent cancer.
- Cabbage is rich in anti-oxidants. Cabbage is also an anti-inflammatory food.
- Cabbage is good for stomach health and for the complete digestive tract.
- Cabbage is rich in minerals such as magnesium, potassium, manganese and iron and the vitamins K, C, B.
- The presence of vitamin K in cabbage is known to boost brain function.
- Cabbage is great for bone health.
- Cabbage is rich in beta-carotene making it good for eye health.
- It is known to be good for skin health.
Nutrition facts of Indian cabbage (raw)
Chinese cabbage or Bok choy was initially cultivated in China. It is now an integral part of Asian as well as American cuisine. It is a deep green leafy vegetable that resembles the lettuce on top and a bigger celery on the bottom.
The entire vegetable is used for culinary purposes. It can be added raw to salads. It can also be used in soups. You can steam the vegetable or stir fry it for better flavour. Chinese cabbage is also pickled.
Health benefits of Chinese cabbage
- A rich source of vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin K and minerals like calcium, iron, potassium, manganese this vegetable is a powerhouse of nutrients.
- This vegetable helps in the proper functioning of the immune system.
- The presence of vitamin C helps in fighting against free radicals as it is an antioxidant.
- Presence of vitamin K is good for the health of bones.
- Potassium content in it is important for healthy functioning of nerves and muscles.
- Vitamin B6 takes active part in the metabolism of carbs, protein and fat.
- It contains Beta carotene that prevents night blindness, cataract and other issues related to the eye.
- Bok choy contains certain plant chemicals like thiocyanates, lutein, indole-3-carbinol, sulforaphane, zea-xanthin and isothiocyanates.
- Along with vitamins these compounds help to protect against cancer.
- Also the compounds found in the Chinese cabbage help reduce bad cholesterol levels in the blood.
Nutrition facts of Chinese cabbage
- 100 g of the vegetable contains just 13 calories. It would add no extra weight to the body and would instead facilitate burning of calories and reduction of weight.
- It has 89% of RDA of Vitamin A, 75% of RDA of Vitamin C, 10% RDA of Vitamin B6 and 10% RDA of calcium. It is low in fat, low in carbs and high in dietary fibre.
Comparing the nutrition facts of Indian cabbage and Chinese cabbage
The health benefits of both the cabbages are quite similar but the nutrition facts vary.
- Indian cabbage has 25 calories compared to just 13 of the Chinese cabbage.
- Potassium content of Chinese cabbage is 252 mg opposed to 170 mg of the Indian cabbage.
- The level of carbs is higher in Indian cabbage. It is 5.8 g opposed to the 2.2 g of Chinese cabbage.
- The Chinese cabbage also has a higher level of protein when compared to the Indian cabbage.
Similar to Indian cabbage, too much consumption of the Chinese cabbage or Bok choy can affect the thyroid gland. It may lead to goitre which is a swelling of the thyroid gland.
Hope you found the nutrition facts of Indian cabbage and Chinese cabbage useful!
You may also like reading-
- Health & Weight Loss Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
- Top Foods Weight Watcher’s Fridge Must Have
- How Excessive Sugar Intake Causes Heart Diseases & Cancer
- Is Spicy Food Healthy or Harmful?
- Benefits Of Wheatgrass Juice In Weight Loss
- Have Belly Fat? Fix Your Fatty Liver
- Healthy Eating Rules To Follow At Every Meal
- The Skinny Jeans Workout
- 11 Reasons For Being Unable To Lose Belly Fat
- Importance Of Detoxification And How To Detoxify
- 5 Ways To Remain Naturally Fit
- Lose Weight With Tai Chi
- How To Overcome Emotional Eating?