Health Benefits of Kashmiri Kahwa
As a kid, I remember visiting a family friend who belonged to Kashmir and always served hot cups of Kahwa during winters. The sole reason for me to accompany my parents during those get-togethers was that sweet and heavenly cinnamon; cardamom flavored steaming delicate, hot brew. Later, when, as an Army wife, I stayed in Udhampur, having a cup of Kahwa became a daily evening habit. During that time, only I realized the health benefits of Kashmiri Kahwa. Let me share it with my blog readers, too, today.
Beginning the day with a hot cup of tea is an unavoidable daily ritual for almost all of us. It refreshes, gives energy, and sets up to take the daily challenges head-on. At the same time, we need to understand that tea is known to be much more than that. Remember your mom, who tells you to have a cup of ginger cardamom tea for cold and cough and ajwain wali chai to handle stomach-related problems. Tea is an excellent remedy for various health issues. Think of it as a stress reliever while you are rushing to meet deadlines.
Talking about Kashmiri Kahwa, an exotic combination of Kashmiri green tea leaves, whole spices like cardamom and cinnamon, almonds, and saffron is prepared in a brass kettle known as a Samovar in Kashmir.
The Samovar has a cavity in the center where hot coal is placed, which heats the surrounding space where water and other ingredients boil for the tea.
A perfect Kashmiri Kahwa contains saffron, cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves along with almonds.
Health benefits of Kashmiri Kahwa
- Kahwa is also one such tea with a combination of aroma, flavor, and taste, and various health benefits. It includes ingredients like saffron, which works well in keeping warm during winters. Saffron in Kahwa tea is an excellent vitamin B12 source. You can read about Saffron benefits here….
- It improves digestion as it is a kind of green tea without any caffeine. Some people consider it to be an effective fat burner. Traditionally Kahwa is served after meals as it aids in better digestion and helps to burn away fat.
- Kashmiri Kahwa is a kind of herbal drink that helps in improving focus and cure stress. It helps in relaxing and reducing anxiety levels.
- Kahwa works excellent to detox and cleanses the digestive system, which in turn helps in improving metabolism. Like any other health drink, Kahwa too helps with digestive problems related to constipation.
- Kahwa being a warming beverage, works best during winters. A cupful of Kahwa first thing in the morning can help kick start your day with the nutrition of nuts and whole spices, leading to better digestion.
- The addition of cinnamon helps control cholesterol in blood vessels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Antioxidants in Kahwa help in keeping us far from infections during winters.
- Antioxidants help in moisturizing the skin and reduce related problems like acne.
- Who can deny almonds’ benefits added to Kahwa that works for the skin and make it glow? Read all about the benefits of Almonds here…
- Kahwa helps to recharge energy if one feels lethargic instantly.
Quick Recipe for Kashmiri Kahwa
Firstly it is to be noted that Kashmiri Kahwa leaves are not any green tea leaves. Those are sweet-tasting tea leaves that can be chewed and eaten along with almonds and spices while having tea.
1 cup of water
½ inch cinnamon stick
Two crushed green cardamoms, slightly crushed.
A few strands saffron
1 tsp Kashmiri Kahwa leaves
1-2 tsp honey or sugar
1. Boil 1 cup of water along with cloves cardamom and cinnamon.
2. Add Kahwa tea leaves and switch off the flame. Cover and let it infuse for a few minutes.
3. Blanch and finely slice almonds to add in the teacup along with a few strands of saffron.
4. Finally, stir strain and pour the tea into the cup. You can serve without straining too. You can sweeten it with honey or sugar as per your taste.