Health Benefits Of Probiotics
I am back with yet another very interesting topic …PROBIOTICS.
What are Probiotics?
We all know that bacteria is present everywhere, and that there are many bacteria which cause dreadful diseases. But how many of us know that there are many bacteria which are also healthy? Yes you got that right! There are many bacteria present in our intestines which are actually essential and provide immunity and ease in digestion of food. These bacteria are present in many foods and are known as Probiotics which in Greek means ‘for life’.
Probiotics in simple words are nothing but live bacteria which have many health benefits to the human body. The most common bacteria added in foods are bifid bacteria and lactobacilli. Curd/dahi is a common food that contains a good amount of probiotics and is commonly consumed. So next time when you read a product claiming it contains probiotics do look for the names of these bacteria on the label!
Health Benefits Of Probiotics
The benefits that probiotics have on the human body are many, and some of them include:
- It helps to prevent/reduce the duration of diarrhea. Thus, during diarrhea consumption of curd/buttermilk is advised.
- It helps to prevent colon cancer by inhibiting the activity of carcinogens and making them inactive. It also stimulates the excretion of harmful carcinogens from the colon.
- Probiotics help to increase the immunity by increasing the production of antibodies such as immunoglobulin , neutrophil, natural killer cells which fight against harmful bacteria and prevent diseases.
- People who are lactose intolerant i.e. those individuals who cannot consume milk can benefit from the consumption of probiotics. Thus curd/buttermilk is advised to those with lactose intolerance as it aids in digestion and prevents gas and bloating.
- Many healthy bacteria produce vitamin k and vitamin B12 in the gut which are considered to be essential vitamins.
- Lactobacillus is known to produce certain substances in the gut which prevent the growth and action of harmful micro-organisms.
These days there are a wide range of products which promise the presence of probiotics. These products include infant formulas, protein supplements, flavoured yoghurts, probiotic drink such as yakult, and many more. Probiotics are important and are required to maintain healthy lifestyle. Make probiotics a part of your diet naturally by consuming home made curd. It contains a good amount of probiotics and is natural too!
With so many benefits that probiotics come along, grab your bowl of fresh natural curd add some some fruits and enjoy the goodness of health.
Thank you for reading.
Have you tried any product with probiotics?
You may like to read about these too.
- Boiled Eggs In Kadhi Recipe – Indian Low Carb Recipe
- Can You Lose Weight With Egg Fasting?
- How Antioxidants Work On Free Radicals Damage
- 7 Surprising Foods That Help To Maintain Weight
- Low Carb Creamy Cottage Cheese Recipe
- Health Benefits of Coffee
- Top 9 Diet Foods That Make You Fat
- Benefits Of Dark Chocolate
- Papaya and Sun Melon Summer Fruit Drink Recipe