Health Benefits Of Soaking In Epsom Salt Bath
A lot of importance is given to iron and calcium but have you ever wondered about magnesium? Are you aware of the fact that magnesium is the 2nd most abundant element in the human cells and the 4th most essential positively charged ion in the body. Magnesium has several roles to play in the human body. Read more about it here!
Most of us have a deficiency of magnesium. There is one easy way to get a magnesium boost and that is soaking in an Epsom salt bath.
The National Academy of Sciences says that it is the deficiency of magnesium that accounts for the high occurrences of stroke, heart disease, arthritis, joint pain, osteoporosis, digestive trouble, fatigue and a number or other health issues.
Due to the changes in diet and agriculture, our levels of magnesium have halved in the last century. Most of us follow a western kind of diet that speeds up the depletion of magnesium from the body.
We focus a lot on getting enough calcium and this decreases the levels of magnesium in the body. You see, it is a delicate balance between calcium and magnesium. Calcium is known to deplete magnesium yet calcium is known to function the best way when there is sufficient magnesium present in the body. Studies have shown that there can be a shortage of both calcium and magnesium when you take a calcium supplement without consuming sufficient magnesium.
Now, you might be thinking that if there is so much magnesium deficiency it would be better to have magnesium supplements. However, studies say that magnesium cannot get absorbed easily through the digestive tract. Presence of certain foods, some kind of medication and the chemistry of the stomach can make magnesium supplements ineffective.
So, how do we get the right amount of magnesium. Well, Epsom salt comes to the rescue. It is scientifically called hydrated magnesium sulfate. The salt is rich in magnesium a well as sulfate. Absorption of both magnesium and sulfate is poor through the stomach, studies show that you can increase your magnesium levels by soaking in a bath tub that has Epsom salt in it. Magnesium gets easily absorbed through the skin.
Find out the health benefits of soaking in an Epsom salt bath:
- There is an improvement in heart and circulatory health with reduction in irregular heartbeats, prevention of hardening of arteries, reduction of blood clots and lowering of blood pressure.
- It improves the body’s ability to use insulin and this reduces the risk or severity of diabetes.
- It flushes heavy metals and toxins from the cells thereby easing muscle pain and helping the body in eliminating harmful substances.
- Improves nerve function by regulation of electrolytes.
- Relieves stress. Too much of stress drains the body of magnesium, which is a natural stress reliever.
- Relieves pain and muscle cramps by reducing inflammation.
- Improves the utilization of oxygen
- Improves nutrient absorption.
- It improves the formation of joint proteins and brain tissue.
- It eases migraine headaches.
Isn’t it amazing to know that you can get all the above benefits just from a bath??? You can get Epsom salt from any chemist. Add two cups of the salt in your bath tub and soak for about 12 minutes. It would be good if you can do it for 3 times a week.
However, you should consult the doctor if you have an existing health condition or if you are an expecting mother.
Did you find the Health Benefits Of Soaking In Epsom Salt Bath amazing?
You may also like reading-