Healthy Dinner Options For Weight Loss
If you have read my weight loss story, then you might have noticed that I lost a good amount of weight when I monitored my dinner. When you are trying to lose weight, then dinner plays a very crucial role and if you can control the late night binges then you can win the weight loss battle. Believe me, I have been there and I know it is not easy, especially in India where dinner is considered as family time. But if you can change your dinner habits then you can lose weight more easily.
When I first started dieting, I had no one to guide me and just followed whatever I heard. At around this time, I came across the saying “Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like peasant and dinner like a pauper” and I decided to make this my mantra. But I did make an unhealthy choice here… instead of eating like a pauper, I started skipping dinner. It was one of the worst mistakes. I did loss weight by skipping dinner but it affected my BMR, stamina and also lead to problems like chronic acidity. I would not suggest any of you to skip your meals, please never do that. Instead you can switch to healthier dinner options and try and have an early dinner. Here are some changes you can make during your dinner which can help you to lose weight.
Healthy Dinner Options For Weight Loss
- Cut down on the portion size. This means that if you are eating two chapatis then you can cut down to one.
- Have salads and light vegetables as they are more filling and have low calorie count. Light vegetables mean green veggies like ghia/lauki (bottle guard), tinda, tauri and more. They have low calorie count and are nutritious. You can also have bhindi/okra or a small bowl of paneer bhurji. Mixed vegetables wrapped in a wheat chapati is also filling and nutritious.
- When I say salad, then I don’t mean the stuff that is served at Subway or other restaurants. It simply refers to raw fresh vegetables. Never use frozen vegetables and refrain from using dressings. If you want to add some taste then you can make a dip from hung curd or use a tsp of hummus or homemade salsa. Whatever dip you use, make sure you don’t go overboard with it.
- If you prefer continental then you can use a slice of multigrain bread and add vegetables to it. You can add seasoning, grill it and have that. Clear soup and a slice of multigrain bread also make for a good dinner option.
- When you have had a heavy lunch and feel like skipping dinner then a better option would be to have fruits like apple or pear. Do not add seasoning to it. The fruits would take care of water retention and helps in maintaining the weight.
- When eating out, avoid having pulses like kali dal or heavy preparation. You can instead choose mixed vegetables and tandoori roti. If possible, have paneer tikka or sizzler (yup, I mention it too often… LOVE it J). Non vegetarians can opt for chicken sizzler or have lean meat in light preparation. I personally avoid eating out during dinner but when I do go out for weddings then I stick to the live counters and have Mediterranean where I ask the chef to add more vegetables. Sometimes I choose Italian and take wheat pasta (wherever possible) with red sauce preparation and more of vegetables.
- When shopping late then a slice of multigrain sandwich without cheese and dressing can also be a good option. You can make a stop at Subway and have a 6 inch multigrain salad sandwich with just a hint of vinaigrette dressing.
These are some dinner options that can help you with your weight loss regime. But this can work well only if you have early dinner. Try to finish your dinner by 6.30 -7.00 PM. If you feel hungry later then you can have a glass of single toned milk at about 9 pm along with a fruit. I personally prefer papaya as it helps with better digestion and is good for people who suffer from constipation. Avoid late night binging. If you feel hungry have water first and then see if you still want to eat. Sometimes we get confused between thirst and hunger. Drinking water can help you to feel full and ensures that you don’t falter from your plan.
Image source – 1 ,2
You may also like reading –
- How BMR Affects Weight
- How To Set Weight Loss Goals
- Sugar Free Nut Bites – Nut Recipe For Diabetics|Wheat Belly|Paleo
- How To Curb Sugar Cravings
- Top Fat Burning Foods | Indian Fat Burning Foods
- Macrobiotic Diet For Weight Loss
- How To Prevent Loose Skin After Losing Weight
- Medical Tests For Weight Gain
- Quick And Healthy Breakfast Ideas
- Reasons For Sudden Weight Gain
- Which Is Better – Fruit or Fruit Juice?
- Flax Seeds And Weight Loss