Herbs That Help Lower Blood Sugar Levels
An ancient art and science of healing – Ayurveda has traditionally been a holistic way to help the body, mind and soul come out of the perils of illnesses. Before I jump the gun of telling you how Ayurveda can help bring down blood sugar levels in the body, let me give you a sneak peek into the philosophy behind the ancient practice.
The core philosophy
Guided completely by an in-depth understanding of the major elements – 5 of them, namely;
- The air
- The space
- The fire
- The water, and
- The earth, Ayurveda helps balance and connects with elements around – an important consideration to make with regard to wellness and well-being across all levels of being.
How does Ayurveda work?
There are three main energies in every human being; the doshas. We all have it in varied proportions, and each of them has two elements from the five mentioned.
The three important doshas are;
- Vata (air & space)
- Pitta (fire & water), and
- Kapha (water & earth).
Each of us would showcase one Dosha which is very prominent and when it spins out of control, we experience symptoms or major illnesses as per the properties of the Dosha. With Ayurveda, the use of herbal concoctions and medication, personalised diet plans and other important modalities comes into play – helping balance the wellness, health and the doshas.
Some important herbs that are very beneficial to the body would be
- The gymnema leaf
- The cassia bark
- Fenugreek seeds
- The basil leaf
- Jambolan seeds etc – all of which help with the metabolism of the body, and naturally keeps the body in control from the rising spikes of blood sugar levels – diabetes type 2 especially.
Top recommended Ayurvedic herbs:
Gymnema Leaf – Helps support insulin levels, and has substances within which bring down the sugar levels in the intestines – no wonder it is known by the tag ‘sugar destroyer’. The herb also helps enhance pancreatic cell growth, which means more insulin production in the body, manufactured by the pancreas.
Cassia or Cinnamon – For a very long time, Cassia has been used to bring down blood sugar levels in the body – thanks to the presence of polyphenols in it that helps keep a check on insulin sensitivity. A pinch of it in a cup of hot tea would do wonders.
Fenugreek Seed – Helps with the metabolic health of an individual, fenugreek seeds are a little bitter to taste, raw form. Sprouts of the same would have a ‘pungent sweet’ taste, which can be a condiment for salads and soups.
Holy Basil Leaf – Also known as Tulsi in India, the leaf is known to help control sugar imbalances. Dried Tulsi leaves can be added to the daily cup of tea, for blood sugar control and to bring down internal imbalances as well.
In addition to the mentioned benefits, each of these herbs used in Ayurveda for blood-sugar control helps heal the body and also harmonize the mental abilities of an individual. These are herbs that also work wonders in other health needs, such as
- As antioxidants
- As antibacterial agents
- As antiviral warriors
- As an adaptogenic
- Helps with the immune system of them body too.
Most studies have shown these herbs and leaves to have worked wonders in bringing down surplus blood sugar levels in the body – they also help as anti-inflammatory agents too, and the imbalances of the body are thus corrected as well.
Disclaimer: Please note- the information provided here is through research only. We are not a substitute to what the family doctor you seek help from has to say. The doctor’s word would take precedence over what is written here and elsewhere. If you do happen to use a holistic expert’s help for treatment, please check for their certification and legitimacy, before you enrol – especially if you are a nursing mother or an expectant mother.
Did you find this post on Herbs That Help Lower Blood Sugar Levels informative?
You may also like reading-
- 5 Myths About Going Gluten free
- Low Carb Indian Sweet Recipe-Doda Burfi Fudge
- Top Health & Weight Loss Benefits Of Lady’s Finger Or Bhindi
- RiteBite Max Protein Bar Review
- PCOS- Top 8 Natural Remedies
- How stress ruins your life?
- 10 Meditation Myths Busted
- My Running Practice With 10K App Week 6 Marathon Practice
- Low Carb Baked Recipe-Baked Maacher Jhol
- Natural Antibiotics In Your Kitchen
- Post Workout Binging- Ways To Prevent