How Breast Feeding Moms Can Lose Weight?
It is a joy to welcome a new life at home. It is a completely new journey for the mother! Breastfeeding is known to speed up the recovery of the new mom and is helpful in losing the weight that was gained during pregnancy.
However, many moms are just left frustrated when they are not able to lose their pregnancy weight. Not consuming sufficient calories is the biggest reason why you are not able to lose weight while breastfeeding. Moms feel that cutting calories will be of help but they forget that the human body is programmed in such a way that it protects itself from starvation.
There are maternal fat stores in the body that are a great source of constant energy. They make sure that the body has the energy to produce sufficient milk to meet the needs of the baby. The aim of post-baby nutrition is to encourage the body to dip in a bit in the maternal energy stores every day to meet the increased energy requirements. For that nursing moms should increase calorie intake by 500 calories. This will make your metabolism to rely on 250 additional calories from the maternal fat stores each day. This is something like doing a 30 min cardio (light). It will slowly help you get back to your pre-pregnancy weight.
If you want to get back to your pre-pregnancy weight post delivery and also want to make sure that you are able to produce adequate milk to meet the baby’s needs, you need to follow these 5 principles:
1) Consume balanced meals and snacks after every few hours. Newborn babies generally feel hungry after every few hours and this means that your body is using energy to produce milk as per the requirement. When the body is supplied with energy and nutrients it helps in ensuring that it never feels that it is starving and continuously burns maternal fat stores.
2) Drink lots of water. You see, breast milk contains 50% of water and is also an essential part of metabolism. You need to drink a minimum of 8 ounces of water after every nursing session. If you happen to be exercising or the weather is hot, you will need more water to stay hydrated.
3) Don’t ignore hunger cues as they are ways by which the body tells you that it needs more energy. As the body burns carbs quickly, make sure that you also have protein or healthy fats along with carbs to stay satiated.
4) As you have gained weight slowly, you will lose it slowly too. You shouldn’t try to take drastic measures to lose weight faster. Instead work on healthy eating and inculcating healthy eating and fitness habits that make you maintain a healthy rate of weight loss without feeling deprived.
5) If you workout, run around after kids or have a demanding job, you will require more calories than you think. So, hunger is the best guide. Listen to it.
Remember the goal is to lose the weight you gained during pregnancy. Your body may or may not cooperate if you want to get back to your pre-pregnancy weight. You can instead focus on strength training to increase your muscle strength. Increased muscle mass will help in boosting your metabolism.
Slow and steady, you will win the race!
You may also like reading-
- Meal Options For Weight Loss With 9-5 Job Commitment
- Tips To Lose weight With 9-5 Job Commitment
- Living Close To Airport Affects Your Health.Here’s How!
- DASH Diet-All You Need To Know About It!