How To Exercise Your Brain
We all do a lot of physical exercises be it yoga, pilates or kick boxing. But have you felt that there is something on the top of your body that needs some exercise too. Yes, I am talking about the brain. Let me throw some light on the human brain:
The human brain is made up of nerve cells called neurons. Cells are connected with synapses with the help of which information is transferred between cells. Over the years brain cells die and the transfer of information to slows down. But there is a way out to keep your brain healthy and that is with the help of exercise. Yes, you read that right! Exercises of the brain set off pleasure chemicals such as serotonin and dopamine that make us feel calm, happy, and euphoric.
What have you been doing for mental fitness? You must not be doing anything out of the way right? No problem you can always start afresh. The main thing is to break the monotony and the mechanical element in life. Here are a few exercises (if I may call them) that are bound to be beneficial for your brain:
How To Exercise Your Brain
- Try brushing your teeth or dialing the phone with your non-dominant hand. It is known to strengthen the pathways in the opposite side of your brain. Switching of hands makes the brain learn a new skill. You may even feel like you are doing the task for the very first time.
- First thing in the morning, before you get up from the bed, wiggle your toes. This activates nerves that stimulate the brain and internal organs.
- Do your day to day activities with eyes closed. For example while bathing close your eyes and feel the soap or reach out for the towel. (Be careful not to slip and fall because your eyes are closed 🙂 )
- You can also combine two senses like listening to music and smelling flowers.
- Try changing your seat at the breakfast table.
- Most people see but not observe. So start becoming more and more observant about things around you. Like the set up of your room or maybe your car controls.
- Use your laptop or desk top with the non-dominant hand. Try changing the wall paper.
- Learn a new language
- Focus on smells of food.
- Try different cuisines and something totally different from what you usually eat.
- While diving to work try taking a different route every time.
- Meet new people and try remembering their names.
- Find time to play Sudoku (a puzzle) that will help increase mental sharpness. Playind chess is also mentally very absorbing.
- Reading is a very important part of exercising the brain. Anything that stimulates the brain to think can be done. Don’t watch too much television as it is not good for the brain. It makes the brain go into neutral mode.
What about physical exercise?
Yes, it is also good for improving brain function. As early men, we did a lot of physical exercise in the name of daily activities. Walking was a mode of transportation. So, it becomes essential that we walk every day as it increases blood circulation and the oxygen and glucose that reach the brain.
Hope you found the article useful. Take care!!
You may also like reading –
- Chicken Sausages And Kidney Bean Soup Recipe
- Pre and Post Workout Hair Care Tips
- Weight Loss Challenge – 4 kgs in 4 weeks
- IWB 200 Post International Giveaway
- My Yoga Experience and Weight Loss
- Benefits Of Drinking Tender Coconut Water
- How To Boost Your Immunity This Winter
- Skin Care During Weight Loss
- 5 Health Benefits Of Red Wine
- 10 Health Benefits Of Indian Gooseberry/Amla