How To Get Maximum Weight Loss Benefits From Intervals?
How are you all doing? I had shared with you my Intervals’ schedule and I don’t know how many of you have started following that but today I need to discuss the benefits, risks and safety tips while doing Intervals.
How To Get Maximum Weight Loss Benefits From Intervals?
One of the best things that I like about intervals is that there’s no single hard-and-fast rule. Any which way you do it, you will get benefits—and they’re all good 🙂 . Some time back when I could hardly walk two kilometers in more than an hour I started doing intervals in walking by walking slow, fast and faster in short burst of 2 minutes each.
Then as my speed and stamina increased I took up a bit of jogging in between bursts of fast and brisk walks. I have never been to a gym but if you are the one who goes regularly to a gym then you must add intervals to your gym routine once a week to burn more calories and build more fitness. You can include Intervals in your running, jogging or even walking schedules.
Benefits of Intervals
It doesn’t matter if you are a novice on the path of weight loss or one who has spent best years of your life exercising, intervals can help you spruce up your workout routine at any stage. These are some benefits of Intervals :
Better calories burn
The more vigorously you exercise, the more calories you’ll burn — even if you increase intensity for just a few minutes at a time, it can do wonders.
Improved aerobic capacity
As you include intervals in your routine your cardiovascular fitness improves, and you are able to exercise longer, with better intensity. Imagine finishing your 60-minute walk in 45 minutes — or the additional calories you’ll burn by keeping up the pace for the full 60 minutes. Aah!! What a heavenly feel it is.
Helps keep boredom at bay
Including intervals in your daily walk or jog routine in short busts can add variety to your exercise routine which is much needed to keep you motivated and going strong.
No special equipment required
You can simply modify your current routine by adding short bursts of faster walking, jogging or running and the best part is that you won’t require any special equipment but for some good exciting happy music.
Muscles response to intervals
When we train intensely our muscles produce waste products that can contribute to muscle soreness as too many accumulated waste products can make exercise painful and exhausting. But when we alter our exercise intensity by alternating bursts of intense exercise with easier intervals, we help reduce the buildup of waste products in our muscles. As a result we get better results by exercising comfortably. But we can take intervals to many levels just by simply varying our exercise routine. We can determine the length and speed of each high-intensity interval based on how we feel that day.
After warming up, we can increase the intensity for 30 seconds and then resume our normal pace. The next burst of more intense activity may last two to three minutes. How much we pick up the pace, how often and for how long that is up to us.
Risks in doing intervals
A wise person is one who analyses all the pros and cons of any task that s/he wish to take up. So it will be an intelligent move to read this section carefully if you wish to start doing Intervals.
- If you have a chronic health condition then better is to take medical advice first. However recent studies suggest, that interval training can be used safely for short periods even in individuals with heart disease. I can vouch for this because when I introduced intervals in my walking schedules I was under medication for hypertension till one day my physician realized that there was no need for any medication 🙂
- There is a risk of overuse injury if you overdo it or rush into a strenuous workout before warm up. If your body is not ready, you may hurt your muscles, tendons or bones. But that doesn’t mean you give up the idea of doing intervals, instead just start slowly and move up at a comfortable pace. Start with just one or two higher intensity intervals during each workout at first. If you think you’re overdoing it, slow down. As your stamina improves, you can challenge yourself more. I do bursts of jogging but if at any time I feel that I must stop, I just stop because I don’t want to faint on the road… (Aahhh! Early morning the roads are very dirty you see, so many dog walkers around with their pets relieving themselves in the middle of the road) LOL. 😉
- If you haven’t been exercising regularly, it’s better to start intervals slowly.
Interval Training Safety Tips
Well, there are a few things we must keep in mind before including Intervals in our fitness regimen.
- Never forget warm up walk before starting intervals or you will damage your muscles.
- Understand and accept your ability. It’s good to push but don’t over push.
- Start slowly. Keep a steady, but challenging pace. Doing everything today and then nothing for the next week is stupidity.
- Build the number of repetitions over the period of time. Start with one or two then increase over the coming weeks.
- Bring your heart rate down to 100-110 bpm during the rest interval.
- To improve, either increase intensity or duration, but don’t attempt both at the same time. That will be too stressful.
- Train on a smooth, flat surface to ensure even effort and wear proper footwear. (Oh! How I hate those morning walkers in slippers dragging their feet.) L
So, now once you have read it all, it’s up to you to decide if you will be able and ready to shake up your workout by adding safe Intervals? Remember it’s always wise to be cautious about exercising. Don’t forget it’s your life and you get this life only once. Be safe, Love life – live life 🙂
Are you game for reaping maximum weight loss benefits from Intervals?
You may also like to read about:
- Weight Loss Surgeries India
- 6 Worst Weight Loss Tips
- Weight Loss Rules You Can’t Mess Up
- Fitness-Couch To 5K Running Program Review
- My Life and Weight Loss Mission
- Masala Bhangra-New Weight Loss Workout
- IWB Weight Loss Program-Lose Weight With Us
- Why Exercise Is Must For Weight Loss
- How To Beat Menopausal Weight Gain
- How To Use Treadmill Effectively
- 10 Simple Exercises For Slimming And Toning Your Face
- Do At Home Legs Workout-Beginner and Intermediate Level
- Are You Ready To Lose Weight?