Kapalbhati Pranayama For Losing Weight
The word ‘Kapalbhati’ instantly brings Yog Guru Baba Ramdev to my mind! Yes, this pranayama has been made famous by him. It is considered to be a powerful tool to lose weight. On the whole, yoga will not make you lose weight overnight but it is a sustainable, long-term approach to maintain a healthy weight and keep yourself fit.
Here are the health benefits of Kapalbhati pranayama
Helps regulate metabolism
Doing Kaplabhati pranayama can help in stimulating the functioning of the endocrine organs that boost metabolism and help in burning more calories. In plain terms, metabolism is the process by which the body converts food into energy and utilizes the fats. Practicing this pranayama regularly can help in burning more calories and also controlling the body’s blood sugar.
Clears out toxins
Kapalbhati is a very effective method to clear out all the toxins from the body which eventually helps in weight loss. Do you know that 80% of the toxins get removed from within you when you exhale? The vigourous breathing in this pranayama is also known to cleanse the liver. The liver is one amongst the main organs of the body that are responsible for burning fat and it should be flushed or cleaned regularly for its proper functioning. When the liver is clean, the metabolism gets boosted up and that helps in weight loss.
When you get stressed out, your body responds by releasing certain chemicals that can contribute to weight gain. Controlled breathing is effective in reducing stress which in turn makes weight loss possible.
Helps burn abdominal fat
When you are practicing this pranayama, your stomach gets contracted upon exhaling and is relaxed when you inhale. This way the abdominal muscle are strengthened and this helps in burning abdominal fat and tones the waist.
Here is how to do kapalbhati pranayama
- Sit down in sukhasana on your yoga mat. Your spine should be erect and your palms should be on the knees facing the floor.
- Start by exhaling through the nose and pulling your stomach inwards towards the spine. When you loosen your stomach muscles, you breathe in automatically.
- Contract your stomach muscles quickly again and exhale. The work of pushing out and pulling in of the air must be done by your stomach muscles.
- Do this initially for a few times i.e. till you are comfortable. You can increase the no of repetitions once you are well versed in it.
- You might have soreness around the stomach and abdomen muscles after this pranayama. This is normal.
- Do kapalbhati once or twice a day in the morning or evening
Precautions to be taken
- Don’t do this pranayama before going to bed
- Do it on an empty stomach, at least 2 hours after your meal.
- If you are pregnant, have high blood pressure or are a heart patient, you should avoid doing this pranayama.
- Discontinue doing this pranayama if you have any pain, nausea or dizziness while doing it.
Hope found this post on Kapabhati Pranayama useful!
You may also like reading-
- Kundalini Yoga – What You Need To Know About It?
- Yogasan For PCOD And Hormonal Imbalance
- Yoga and Fasting Diet for Weight Loss
- Yoga Breathing Techniques To Stay Warm