Microgreens for health and weight loss
I had long been thinking of preparing microgreens at home. Despite being a huge fan of sprouting, I could never grow microgreens at home. Last week I restarted my healthy and clean eating schedule. Though I was trying to do my best yet was finding it difficult to add extra fiber in my diet as I am also trying to cut on carbohydrates intake. This made me take microgreens seriously. So today here I am with this blog on microgreens for health and weight loss.
Green vegetables in any form have a lot of fiber, vitamins, minerals as well as other essential nutrients. Greens help in improving our immune function, gut health, along with energy levels. They also are essential for the cognitive health of an individual with the detoxifying liver. In brief, greens are important not only to stay healthy but also to manage weight.
If we talk about greens, I think that microgreens are the best functional foods that help in weight loss. Microgreens are considered way more nutritious than the regular plant. Weight gain doesn’t always mean that a person is over eating. As far as my personal experience goes, I don’t eat more than 1200-1400 calories but it is difficult for me to control my weight gain at the age of 56. Weight gain can be due to various other reasons too like lack of vitamins K, B, C, phosphorus, polyphenols, iron, and fibers. Interestingly adding microgreens, is a good way to cover all these nutrients. Microgreens can help you lose weight by consuming lesser calories than you are used to.
Microgreens for weight loss and health
- Microgreens, is known to contain a lot of dietary fibers which keeps craving for food under control. Thus microgreens are that fibrous food which is very useful for weight loss, giving our health a push. Not only that microgreens being high in dietary fiber are good in improving fat metabolism preventing constipation, acid reflux as well as colon cancer.
- Microgreens have vitamin K which helps in reducing the abdominal fat especially among the women between 55-65 years of age. Similarly among individuals struggling with weight issues, polyphenols present in microgreens are known to control fat tissue growth and fat break down. The best microgreens having maximum polyphenols are red cabbage, kohlrabi, and mustard.
- Next good thing about microgreens is that it is high on Thiamine which helps obese people as they have generally low Thiamine.
- Microgreens have enough vitamin B6 to help obese 55+ women have a high protein metabolism rate which helps in losing weight along with reduced calorie intake over the weight loss journey period. Microgreens having good vitamin B6 are of chickpeas, broccoli, and sunflower seeds.
- As we all know that lack of enough Iron causes inflammation microgreens help in reducing this deficiency leading to better energy for exercising resulting in better weight loss.
Ways to use microgreens for weight loss and health?
I have seen people using microgreens after cooking them the Indian way but that is the worst thing to do. I prepared my microgreens without using soil in just water. You can check out how fresh that looked and believe me it was yummy.
Coming to how did I use those microgreens for weight loss and health, so here are the two best ways to get the ultimate benefit of microgreens.
Fresh Green Juice….
I just washed a handful of those and using mixer chutney jar made a chutney like paste. Then added a glass of chilled water, Himalayan pink salt and a dash of lemon juice. Though I didn’t do it but you can add two tsp of chia seeds to it. It is the most refreshing drink I have ever had.
A plateful of fresh salad….
Chop cucumbers, tomato, onion, red and yellow peppers. Add microgreens, sprinkle some rock salt and a dash of lemon juice. There you go with a hearty meal full of nutrition with very less calories.
Oh by the way, did I tell you that I used Mung dal, Methi and Mustard seeds to prepare these microgreens!
So now you decide if microgreens for health and weight loss are the best way to go on your health journey or not.