My Weight Loss Experience With Orlistat
Once again I am struggling with my increased weight issues after Diwali over eating. Its time to recapitulate what and how of my earlier weight loss process. Today in the morning only I just remembered that in 2011, my doctor who was prescribing me medicines for my thyroid problem and also convincing me to lose weight, decided to prescribe me medicine for weight loss. I was happy to know that there was some medicine which the doctor was finding safe for me to lose weight, but more than that I was glad that I would be able to lose weight without exercise.
Well, I was stupid enough to ask the doctor the same thing and in turn receive a dirty look with a comment, “Madam, I never recommend such medicines but because you are not ready to lose weight (98 kg at that time) so I am just trying to kickstart a process, which might motivate you to lose weight.” What!! you think I was ashamed of hearing that!! Oh! come on I was quite a shame less woman who was also egoistic enough not to accept that she was that FAT. Anyhow, that was the beginning of my “Orlistat” experience; but before I tell you about it let me introduce Orlistat to you.
What is Orlistat and how it works?
Orlistat is a medicine for weight control, which is available on prescription. It can help you to lose weight if you are obese or overweight. It interferes with the way fat is digested and absorbed by human body. There are enzymes which normally break down the fat which we consume in our diet and allow it to be absorbed into our bloodstream. It prevents the fat absorption by blocking the enzymes’ action. Orlistat thus reduces the digestion of fat and allows the fat we have eaten to be passed out of your body instead of being absorbed by your body, as a result helping to lose weight.
So that is what Orlistat is… and now let me explain what happened to me once I started having it for weight loss. Before you start drawing conclusion I would like to make it clear that Orlistat doesn’t make all the fat you eat to be passed out of the body. Only about a third of the fat you eat is stopped from being absorbed.
The very next day of my being on this medicine I realized that where ever I was sitting, I was leaving oily marks on the chairs and my clothes were all getting messy with oil oozing out… (just to be reminded that I was working at that time with elementary kids) It took me a few days to handle this problem and how I wished that the some kind of special sanitary napkins too could have been provided along with the medicine. 😛
The usual dose of Orlistat is one capsule taken with each of your three main meals of the day with water. I was advised to take 120 mg capsule half way in between my three main meals.
Did it work?
Well, I won’t be doubting the decision of my doctor who asked me to include this medicine as part of my meals; but it was all my fault that I didn’t lose even an inch or a gram of weight with the help of this medicine. There were many reasons;
- I never understood that Orlistat works on only one third part of the fat consumed. (Oh boy!! I realized for the first time in my life, how much fat I was consuming along with all sorts of refined carbs.)
- It works if you keep exercising along with controlling oily food. (both the things were out of my control, as I loved oily food and hated exercise) 😛
- I failed to acknowledge that if you miss a meal or if you eat a meal which is fat-free then there is no need to take the dose. I regularly had it with my salads too thinking it will help me in flushing out all leftover oil in my body. As a result I stopped responding to the medicine after a month or so.
Later my doctor told me that to lose weight, the best chance of long-term success is to eat a well-balanced, calorie-controlled diet that is low in fat and rich in fruit and vegetables. If you are able, you should also exercise regularly and my response was that if I have to exercise and eat healthy then why should I waste money on this costly medicine? And that was the moment I saw my irritated doctor smiling,” that is what I had been telling you madam; without wasting money you can lose more weight than tby having Orlistat. Orlistat makes you lose around 5% of your weight within three months but with diet and exercise you will lose three times more than that.”
Okay, I saw a point in that statement. After that what I did to lose weight and how I lost my extra 30 kilos by adopting a low carb life style is no secret to the IWB readers. Read my story here.
Side Effects of Orlistat
- The fat which remained undigested from the diet caused changes in my bowel habit, resulting in wind, loose stools, and oily spotting from back passage. Which undoubtedly was highly embarrassing.
- Orlistat can interfere with the absorption of various medicines, may be that was the reason my TSH count was never normal when I was on that pill.
- Orlistat can also interfere with the absorption of vitamins which are fat-soluble. These are vitamins A, D, E and K. If you decide to take a multivitamin supplement, take it at a time when you are not also taking Orlistat. The best time to take the supplement would be at bedtime.
So that way my experiment with Orlistat and no two views that it was a total failure and the experience was traumatic. But yes the leaky passage made me understand where and how I was going wrong with my diet and as a result threw me on the path of weight loss. I understood in 2011 that carb controlled diet and exercise were the only ways to effective weight loss. There are no short cuts for losing weight.
If you wish to lose weight join IWB Weight Loss Program which is a healthy way of losing weight.
“Never ever try to get an experience of Orlistat”, that is my verdict.
You may like reading these-
- An Open Letter To My Body-I Am Sorry
- Why You Must Eat Lentils?
- Top 10 Home Remedies For Natural Weight Loss
- Foods To Avoid when You Are On Weight Loss
- Various Types Of Oats For Health
- Let’s Brighten Some Lives This Diwali
- Raahgiri Day For Fitness Lovers In Delhi
- Healthy Oatmeal Smoothies
- How Wheat Can Make You Sick?
- Herbs That Help Lower Blood Sugar Levels
- 9 Reasons Of Bloating You Never Knew
- The Zone Diet- What Is It All About?
- CrossFit- Fitness Trend
- Healthy Flourless Carrot Cake Recipe