Myth Busted-Salt Not Linked To Heart Disease

4
54

Myth Busted-Salt Not Linked To Heart Disease

Hello All!

Anyone with a heart problem or high blood pressure is immediately instructed to cut down the salt intake. This thought of a ‘salt restricted diet’ has almost become cemented in our minds. Is there actually a link between salt and heart disease? Let us unravel the truth.

Research has found out something that will take your breath away. Salt is good for health and nutritionally beneficial if the right kind is consumed. Surprised?

Studies have not been able to prove salt’s connection with heart disease and there are no scientifically backed benefits of a low-salt diet.

Myth Busted-Salt Not Linked To Heart Disease

Table salt- benefits of rock salt n black salt

Why salt is essential?

We cannot survive without salt. It is essential for our existence.

Unrefined natural salt is vital to many biological processes:

  • Salt is a major component of your blood plasma and other body fluids.
  • It helps in carrying nutrients into and out of your body’s cells
  • It helps in maintaining and regulating blood pressure
  • Increases the ability of creative thinking and long-term planning in the brain.
  • It helps your brain communicate with your muscles. There is a sodium-potassium ion exchange via which you can move your muscles on demand.

80% of your salt intake comes from processed food. Processed food has too much sodium, agreed. But sodium is just one of the numerous ingredients in the long list. Actually, the other additives in processed food are badly affecting our health. The salt found in processed food is high in sodium whereas natural salt is low in sodium.

The real culprit

Fructose-health problems

For decades salt has been blamed to be the one behind rising blood pressure but the real culprit is sugar i.e.fructose! Consuming sugar and refined carbs can raise insulin levels that in turn raise BP and promote fat storage in the body. It leads to obesity, heart disease and diabetes.

Can sodium levels in the body ever get low?

Yes, it can happen and the condition is called hyopnatremia. Sodium is essential for several biological processes.

Causes of low sodium in the body:

  • Being on a low-sodium and high water diet.
  • Taking medications
  • Drinking water excessively during a workout.
  • Dehydration

Signs and symptoms of low sodium in the body:

Changes in appetite and mood are the first signs of sodium deficiency.

Other signs are:

  • Headache
  • Nausea, vomiting
  • Loss of energy
  • Muscle cramps
  • Urinary incontinence
  • Fatigue

More serious symptoms can be the following:

  • Seizures
  • Confusion
  • Unconsciousness
  • Hallucinations
  • Nervousness, restlessness and irritability
  • Coma

Studies fail to show benefits of a low-salt diet.

For twenty five years people are trying to find out the health benefits of being on a low-salt diet. Not even one study has been successful in finding in out any benefits of a low salt diet.

A recent study has shown that the risk for heart disease was 56 percent higher for people in the low-salt group than for the people group who ate the most salt.

Type of salt consumed matters

At this juncture, let me tell you that you can reap benefits not from the refined table salt but from natural salt. Natural salt is just 84 percent sodium chloride, and on the other hand processed salt is 98 percent sodium chloride. In natural salt, the remaining 16 % comprises of natural minerals including trace minerals like vanadium, silicon and phosphorous. In processed salt the remaining 2% consists of man-made chemical additives and a bit of iodine.

table-salt-himalayan-salt-comparison

Processed salt is damaging whereas natural salt is healing. It is advisable to switch to a pure, unrefined salt. One such salt is Himalayan salt from our very own Himalayas. It is hand-mined, hand-washed, and processed minimally. Himalayan salt’s sodium chloride content is only 85 percent, the remaining 15 percent comprises of 84 trace minerals.

Himalayan salt:

Himalayan salt

Just stay away from processed salt and see the difference!

Don’t link salt with hypertension and heart disease anymore. Salt myth busted!

You may also like reading-

4 COMMENTS

  1. I agree.. Salt is much-needed.

    At one point of time, i had constant low bp, got tested all that drill, but no change. Later found out that we reduced salt in cooking due to mom’s Hypertension.. It hit me so bad, i was weak, dull all the time.

    Thank God, we realised it sooner..

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here