PCOS- Top 8 Natural Remedies
PCOS– Polycystic ovary syndrome is a condition caused due to an imbalance of hormones in women of reproductive age. Women suffering from this have high levels of male hormones in the body. PCOS has also been linked to insulin, several women with PCOS have too much insulin and high insulin levels make the ovaries produce more male hormones.
The exact cause of PCOS is still unknown but genetics is an important factor as PCOS appears to run in the family.
While you should be consulting the doctor, there are a few natural remedies that will help you:
It has been found by the research done at the Columbia University that cinnamon can help in improving the menstrual cycle in women suffering from PCOS. It also helps in reducing insulin resistance in women with PCOS.
- You can add a teaspoon of cinnamon powder in a glass of water and drink it every day. Do this till you get satisfactory results!
- You can also consume cinnamon in the form of a supplement after consulting your doctor. The doctor will advise you about the dosage.
- Add cinnamon to your daily food. You can simply sprinkle it on your bowl of cereal, oats or yoghurt. There are many Indian dishes that have cinnamon as an ingredient.
Make sure you don’t take more than 2 tsps of it in a day!
2) Flax seed
Flax seed can help fight PCOS as it helps in decreasing the levels of the male hormone ‘androgen’. It increases the production of a compound that binds testosterone in the blood and prevents it from disrupting things in the body. Also, these flaxseeds are high in fibre. They lower cholesterol levels and slow down the metabolism of glucose. They are rich in omega 3 too and have a lot of health benefits to offer.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of freshly ground flaxseeds in a glass of water and drink it every day till you are satisfied with the results.
- You can add ground flaxseeds to your smoothies, salads and soups too.
3) Spearmint tea
Spearmint tea has anti-androgenic properties, so it can help in dealing with PCOS.
To make this tea:
- Boil 1 cup of water
- Add a tsp of dried spearmint leaves
- Allow it to simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Strain and drink the tea twice a day for a few weeks.
Apple cider vinegar is helpful in dealing with PCOS as it prevents the body from producing too much insulin. Low levels of insulin mean less testosterone. It is good for overall health too.
Add 2 tsps of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and drink this daily in the morning before eating. If you don’t like the taste add it to fruit juice and drink.
Fenugreek or methi is known to promote the body’s metabolism and improve insulin resistance. This way it helps in balancing the body’s hormones. It helps weight loss, lowers cholesterol and promotes heart health.
- Take 3 tsps of fenugreek seeds and soak them in water for 6-8 hours. Take one teaspoon of the soaked seeds with a little honey first thing in the morning. Take 1 tsp of the seeds before lunch and one before dinner. Continue doing so till you see any improvement.
- You can also add fenugreek seeds and greens in your diet.
6) Fish oil
Fish oil is said to be loaded with omega 3 fatty acids. It helps in improving insulin sensitivity and reducing the male hormone (androgen). According to a study, omega 3 fatty acids can improve symptoms of PCOS by balancing the levels of the male hormone.
Follow your doctor’s advice regarding dosage of fish oil (capsules).
Licorice is our very own mulethi. It can help in reducing testosterone in women suffering with PCOS. It promotes ovulation and aids detoxification of the liver.
- You can take it in the form of a supplement after talking to your doctor.
- Alternatively, add a tsp of licorice root to a one cup of boiling water. Allow it to simmer for 10 minutes. Strain and drink this tea 2-3 times a day for a few weeks.
8) Holy basil
Our very own tulsi is known to be helpful in reducing symptoms of PCOS. It manages insulin levels and aids weight loss.
- Chew on 8-12 tulsi leaves daily each morning.
- You can have it as a tea or consume it in supplement form.
Please do have a word with your doctor before starting any of these herbal treatments. Certain herbs are known to affect people with pre-existing medical conditions. The doctor always knows better!
How did you find this post on PCOS- Top 8 Natural Remedies?
You may also like reading-
- Top Fitness And Toning Tips For Groom To Be
- Cast Iron Utensils And Iron Fortification Of Foods
- Biggest Food And Nutrition Lies In India
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome-Causes And Triggers
- Top 13 Health Benefits Of Bitter Gourd
- Best Yoga Exercises For Flawless Hair And Skin
- 7 Wonderful Health Benefits Of Nutmeg Or Jaiphal
- IWB Weight Loss Program-Client Success Stories & More
- Toxins In Cosmetics-The True Cost Of Beauty
- Cervical Cancer-Cause,Symptoms and Treatment