How To Get Relief From Heartburn Due To Medicines?
Do you take medicines? Consuming any prescription medicine or one purchased over-the-counter has side effects. And a common one is heartburn. Heartburn is a burning sensation you have in your chest or throat that occurs when acid flows upwards from the stomach.
Some people feel that they just have to live with it and they can do nothing about it. No! There is something that can always be done.
List out the medications you take and ask your doctor if any one of them is causing heartburn. He may change the medicine for you and you can get relief from heartburn due to medicines!
What all kinds of medicines cause heartburn?
The types of medicines that can cause heartburn:
- Anxiety medicines
- High BP medicines
- Pain relievers
- Osteoporosis medicines
Tips for Relief From Heartburn Due To Medicines
Let me tell you before beginning that you should not stop your prescription medicine without the knowledge of your doctor. Also, don’t take more than the dose recommended.
1) Make note of when and how you take the medicine. Some medicines and supplements are to be taken right after a meal to make sure that you don’t have heartburn. There are others that have to be taken on an empty stomach. If unsure, you should ask your doctor of pharmacist when to take each medicine.
2) Request your doctor to review all the medicines you are taking. You should let the doctor know about not just the prescription medicines but also about supplements and over-the-counter drugs. Your doctor will be able to change the dosage of the medicine, switch to a different one or suggest some ways to reduce your heartburn.
3) You can ask your doctor about changing the way you get your medication. For instance, if you take NSAID for arthritis, you can consider switching from pills to a cream which is less likely to cause heartburn.
4) After you take your medicines don’t lie down. You need to stay upright for 30 minutes after consuming bisphosphonates and a minimum of 15 to 20 minutes after taking anti-anxiety medicines or sleep aids to prevent heartburn.
5) If you have a lot of heartburn, you must drink a cup of ginger tea after dinner.
6) If you are considering consuming antacids available over the counter, please consult your doctor. Some antacids can interfere with other medicines, so you need to stick to what your doctor says. Also, the usage of antacids for a long-term is not advisable unless you doctor prescribes it.
7) Talk to your doctor about your problem and ask him for prescription heartburn treatments. However, it may take some time for the new drug to take effect.
8) Don’t wait too long if your heartburn does not get alright. If there are symptoms like difficulty in swallowing and loss of weight, you should see the doctor immediately. Waiting for long can make it difficult to correct the issue and over time acid reflux harms the esophagus.
The above information does not take precedence over the advice of a doctor.
Hope this post ‘How To Get Relief From Heartburn Due To Medicines’ has been useful!
You may also like reading-