Effective Home Remedies to Treat a Sour Stomach
One of the most common issues of your gastrointestinal system is a sour stomach. Though it subsides in a matter of a few days, there are terrible symptoms like nausea, bloating, gas, indigestion, regurgitation, a sour/metallic taste in the mouth.
What are the causes of a sour stomach?
- Acid reflux
- Peptic ulcer
- Severe indigestion
- Gastritis or gastroenteritis
Consuming spicy and fatty foods, too much of tea, coffee and aerated drinks can increase your chances of suffering from a sour stomach. The same goes for irregular meal times and lack of sleep.
If the symptoms of a sour stomach persist even after a week, you should consult the doctor.
Check out the top home remedies to treat a sour stomach,
Ginger is great for reducing nausea, bloating and gas. The compounds present in it help in soothing the inflammation and irritation in the stomach. It also helps in stimulating the digestive juices and enzymes.
- Ginger tea is quite helpful
Just add one teaspoon of freshly grated ginger in one cup and pour boiling hot water into it. Cover it and allow it to steep for 10 mins before straining it. Drink it 20 mins prior to each meal.
- You can also add 2 tsp of ginger juice and a teaspoon of honey to a cup of warm water and drink it twice daily.
- Another option is to add half a tsp of dry ginger powder to one cup of buttermilk. Drink this a few times a day to get relief.
Fennel will also helpful in providing relief from the symptoms of a sour stomach. Fennel prevents gastrointestinal issues and keeps gut flora healthy. It helps reduce gas, stomach pain and nausea.
Here’s how to use it,
- Crush 2 tsp of fennel seeds slightly and add 2 cups of water. Let the water boil after which you can remove the water from the heat. Allow it to steep for about 5 mins. Strain it and drink.
- You can also dry roast the fennel seeds, grind them. Take half a teaspoon of this powder with water before you have your meal.
3) Chamomile tea
Chamomile tea is anti-inflammatory in nature and helps in relaxing the muscles of the stomach. It helps reduce pain and improves digestion.
- You can make chamomile tea by adding 1-2 teaspoons of dried chamomile flowers in a cup and pouring boiling hot water. Cover the cup and let the concoction steep for 5 minutes. You can strain it and drink the tea with some honey.
- If you get your hands on chamomile tea bags, it would be great. Just pour hot water over a bag of the tea in a cup and let it steep for 5 mins. Discard the bag and add a little honey before drinking it.
Bananas help those who are suffering from a sour stomach. They help in soothing intestinal walls and reduce irritation due to gastric acid.
You can have 2 to 3 bananas in a day either before or after your meals. It is advised that you also sprinkle a little cinnamon powder on it.
Yogurt is soothing and gentle on your tummy along with being easy to digest. Additionally, it helps in providing nutrition to the body. Yogurt with live active cultures is good for providing relief from digestive troubles.
The above remedies will help you in getting rid of a sour stomach!
You may also like reading-
- Water Weight – All You Need To Know!
- Benefits Of Drinking Water On An Empty Stomach
- Detox Water – Health Benefits And Myths
- Is Carbonated Water Bad For Health Or Not?