Getting late for office , rush to prepare breakfast, deadlines at work, rush to feed your baby (Ana and Zee would agree 😛 ) – sounds familiar ? Our life is on a run always. We are always late for something or the other. In short, we face stress day in and day out.
Does it lead to weight gain ? The answer is Yes ! I am so sure about it because one of the major reason I have put on weight is STRESS in addition to aneamia. So , this post is backed my personal experience as well as numerous researches correlating weight & stress gain.
Let’s see how Stress causes Weight Gain.
- When we are stressed , we release a stress hormone called ‘Cortisol’ which causes weight gain. Some research finds that higher levels of cortisol leads to increased abdominal fat. That’s why I always put on weight around my tummy, Huh Huh !
- Cortisol also slows metabolism, hence we tend to gain weight even if are eating the same food. So our dieting and exercise goes for a toss !
- Do you find yourself binging on carbs when you are anxious? Have you wondered why you crave for carbs only that time ? The reason is carbs are known to increase Serotonin temporarily. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter and helps us with our emotions, anxiety , stress, worries etc. So, carbs give a temporary relief which is very shortlived. Later, you crash ! This is called Emotional Eating which causes us to eat more calories and increase our weight 🙁
- Stress also alters blood sugar levels which further causes fatigue , mood swings , hypertension and a lot more. Prolonged and acute stress has also been associated with metabolic syndrome , heart attack and diabetes.
- When we are stressed and too busy to cook food at home, we opt for fast food which causes us to gain fat fast.
- Have you ever craved for sweets, sugary foods or chocolate 😛 ? These cravings happen more when you are anxious or stressed.
So , how to De-stress ? Stay tuned for coming post !
Let us know if you have faced weight gain because of stress like me.
You may also like reading –