Top 20 Health Benefits Of Elephant Foot Yam
Today I am going to talk about the vegetable- elephant foot yam. It is a tuber that grows in tropical regions. Due to its resemblance to the foot of an elephant, it is called elephant foot yam. It is mostly consumed in Africa followed by Asian nations including India.
Here are some common health benefits of yams:
- Elephant foot yam has trace minerals that are needed by the body to carry out its functions and they are copper, selenium, phosphorus, zinc, potassium and magnesium.
- It has a high content of protein in it.
- With high fibre content, this vegetable is considered to be a slimming food. Yam promotes weight loss and also reduces cholesterol levels in the body. But you have to cook it properly! You can’t expect weight loss if you deep fry it in oil and have. 😛 If you choose the right cooking method, you can eat it without worrying about weight gain.
- The fibre in yam is also good for the friendly bacteria residing in your gut. When they feel homely and flourish, they boost your immunity too!
- It is good for those who suffer from hypertension as it has a cooling effect on the body.
- Elephant foot yam has a high content of omega 3 fatty acids. They help in increasing good cholesterol and lowering bad cholesterol.
- This vegetable is usually advised to those who are getting treated for piles. It also helps in reducing irregular bowel movements and treats constipation.
- Yam has anti-coagulating properties that prevent the blood from clotting.
- Elephant foot yam is a healthy option for those who suffer from diabetes because it has a low glycemic index (raises blood sugar slowly).
- It is particularly good for women as it increases the levels of estrogen in the body, thus helping them in maintaining hormonal balance. Being high in vitamin B6, it provides relief from pre menstrual syndrome (PMS).
- It is known to prevent muscle spasms.
- It contains a compound called diosgenin that is being researched for treating and preventing cancer.
- Elephant foot yam has anti-inflammatory properties and this property prevents the inflammation of joints.
- This veggie is also helpful in lowering blood pressure.
- It is an antioxidant that slows down the process of ageing and prevents heart diseases, cancer and stroke.
- Elephant foot yam is known to be liver cleansing. The fibre content in it cleans out the liver toxins.
- It also has mid pain killing properties and can prove effective in the case of arthritis and other pain.
- Looking for a stress buster? Well, you need not go to far as yam has a relaxing effect on the nervous system. It works well for stressed out individuals.
You can have it as a side dish in your main meal. You can roast it or bake it but avoid deep frying it if you want to lose weight or enjoy its other health benefits to the full extent.
A word of caution
It is always advisable to check with your doctor before making elephant foot yam a part of your diet. Those who suffer from asthma, sinus infection or chronic cold should avoid consuming yam as it has a cooling effect. Expecting mothers or lactating mothers should check with their doctor before having yam.
Are you going to try including elephant foot yam in your diet?
You may also like reading-
- Orange Infused Yogurt Treat Recipe
- 7 Obvious Signs & Symptoms Of Iron Deficiency-Anemia
- Cardio And Strength Training For Better Sleep | Research
- Low Carb Baba Ganoush Recipe
- Why Apples Are Good For Weight Loss And Health?
- Do We Overeat When Food Is Free?
- Best Ways To Get Rid Of Butt Acne
- Top 4 Sports That Aid Weight Loss
- Scarlett Johansson’s Post-Pregnancy Weight Loss Story
- How Yoga Benefits in Pregnancy?