Causes And Cure
Vaginal dryness which is caused due to reduction in the levels of estrogen, can affect women’s sex life. It can cause pain and discomfort during intercourse.
Vaginal Dryness Causes
Main cause of vaginal dryness, as mentioned above is the reduction in estrogen level generally at the time of the onset of menopause. Estrogen is produced by the ovaries which plays a significant role in menstruation and pregnancy.
Reasons for drop in estrogen level, other than menopause can be many other like:
- Childbirth and breastfeeding
- Treatments for cancer
- Surgical menopause
- Anti-estrogen drugs used for breast cancer or endometriosis
Other causes of vaginal dryness can be;
It is an autoimmune disorder that involves inflammation of the salivary and tear glands. The tissues lining the vagina can also be inflamed.
These drugs which are used for cold and allergy symptoms, work to dry up secretions.
Women who smoke can reach menopause earlier leading to vaginal dryness.
Vaginal Dryness Symptoms
Some symptoms of vaginal dryness are vaginal itching, burning sensation, irritation and also infection. It also leads to the reduction in the amount of natural vaginal secretions. It can also cause Dyspareunia.
Women in perimenopausal period may also experience:
- Hot flashes
- Night sweats
- Mood changes
- Urinary symptoms
- Memory problems
There are various treatments that the doctor can prescribe and some that can be obtained over the counter.
Topical Estrogen Cream
This is a way in which medications can be applied directly to the vaginal area. These Medications have comparatively lower risk.
Examples of topical estrogen therapies are:
- Vaginal ring: In this, a ring that regularly releases estrogen is placed in the vagina that is changed every 3 weeks.
- Vaginal cream: An applicator is used to apply the cream in the vagina that is effective and tolerable.
- Vaginal tablet: It is a treatment of using an applicator to place a tablet in the vagina.
Women with a history of breast cancer or who are pregnant or breastfeeding should first consult a doctor.
Some water-based lubricants in place of oil-based lubricants are also used to increase moisture at the time of intercourse.
- Regular sex: When a woman is aroused, the blood flow to the vaginal tissues increases, which helps stimulate moisture production.
- Hygiene products: Various fragrant soaps should not be used near the sensitive area as the vagina contains good bacteria and is self-cleaning.
- Food that contains phytoestrogens: These are the plant based foods, like nuts, soy, seeds, and tofu. Phytoestrogens are associated with a modest improvement in vaginal dryness.
- Underwear: Cotton underwears, that allow the vagina to “breathe”, should be chosen. Synthetic underwear, that can be clingy, cause irritation and that may restrict airflow, should be avoided.
Vaginal dryness is a common symptom among women going through menopause transition. Although vaginal dryness is not associated with health issues, but it can cause discomfort.
You may also like reading-
- Best Weight Loss Technique-Fake It Till You Make It
- Weight watcher’s Quick Guide to 5 Common Nuts
- Comparison-Amla Juice And Aloe Vera Juice
- Easy Low Carb Parsley Spinach Cheese Fritters Recipe
- Muscle Cramps- The Remedies And Prevention
- What Is the Best Age To Lose Weight?
- Vitamin A-Importance,Food Sources and Deficiency
- Top Secrets To A Toned And Lean Body
- Monster Energy Drink-Good Or Bad ?
- Top 10 exercises that help you tone up
- Morning Sickness During Pregnancy-Good Sign?