Ways to relieve constipation
Constipation happens to everyone at least once in a lifetime. Am I right 😛 ? Many suffer with it but are unable to discuss it openly. Constipation causes a lot of discomfort but if certain dietary changes are made, the problem can be resolved. This post focuses entirely on constipation and ways to alleviate it.
The best dietary change can be to include a lot of green leafy veggies in your meals. It can be spinach, fenugreek leaves (methi), lettuce or cabbage. They are rich in dietary fibre and are an excellent and all natural laxative that can help in treating constipation.
What is the science behind it?
Both soluble fibre and insoluble fibre have an important role to play in digesting food. Soluble fibre becomes gelatin like after absorbing the water from the digestive tract. It is then fermented by the bacteria living in the digestive tract. The insoluble fibre does the job of adding bulk to the diet and cleanses the digestive tract. It actually sweeps the colon as it travels through the digestive system.
Here is a list of what else you can do to cure your constipation apart from consuming green leafy veggies :
- Try drinking lots of water with lemon squeezed into it. If your body is sensitive to citrus food then just drink water at room temperature or perhaps a little warm as soon as you get up and also throughout the day. Just drink water when you feel you should. 2 litres in a day would be sufficient.
- Make it a point to consume whole fruits as they provide you with fibre just like how green leafy veggies do. Guava is one fruit that will help ease your constipation.
- Try your best to reduce the intake of meat when you are already constipated.
- Try to exercise regularly. Keep it achievable like a thirty minute walk each day. Whatever you start with just stick to it! No one wants you to run miles just make a modest beginning. When you are active your general health will improve and your elimination system will work better. As per certain studies, exercise has been found to increase the levels of nitric acid that helps in relieving constipation. Low levels of nitric acid are directly linked to constipation especially in the elderly and pregnant women.
- Curb constipation causing foods. Almost all foods that are processed are the culprits. Any food from which fibre has been removed like white bread, sugary pastries and other things made out of maida. So, if you want to bring your elimination system back on track you have got to eliminate processed stuff from diet! Switch form refined to whole grain.
- Apart from green leafy veggies you can depend on legumes and dried beans for the fibre content. Chickpea(white chana), kidney beans(Rajma), black eyed peas (lobia) are readily available options to choose from.
- Some people say that coffee can dehydrate you but the fact is that coffee has bitter tasting substances in it and bitter things are known to stimulate the digestive tract.
- Do make sure that your constipation is not due to certain medicines you are taking. Generally people have constipation when they take iron supplements.
Point to be noted here. Adding fibre to your diet and following the above tips/remedies may work for only mild constipation. If you have been having constipation for a long time it would be better to consult a doctor and get proper treatment.
Hope you have got a rough idea on what you should do when the next time you get constipation!
Found the ways to relieve constipation easy?
You may also like reading-
- Must Have Things In Your Gym Bag
- How To Do Burpees And Get Fit
- 4 Minute Fat Burning Tabata Workout
- How Sleep Can Help You Lose Weight?
- Stevia–Health Benefits of The Natural Sweetener
- Fitness Freaks-Best Weight Loss Tricks Of All Time
- Full Body Workout With Toning Tube
- Top Reasons To Go Gluten Free
- Best Workout For Endomorph Body Type
- How The Place You Live In Affects Your Health?
- Urinary Incontinence – That Sudden urge to go
- Budget Friendly Home Workout Tools