Weight Loss After Pregnancy-How to go about it?
After you welcome the new bundle of joy your focus shifts to your post pregnancy weight. However, it is not advised to lose weight right after giving birth as your body needs time to recover. Give yourself some time. It is better to ask the gynaecologist.
How to lose weight safely?
Here are some tips to lose weight safely.
- Spend time for your breakfast in the morning.
- Have a minimum of 5 portions of fruit and veggies in a day.
- Eat foods that are rich in fibre such as oats, beans, grains, seeds and lentils.
- Add whole grains to your meal.
- Reduce sugary and fatty processed stuff like fizzy drinks, fast food, sweets, cakes, biscuits and pastries.
- Exercise portion control while having your meals. Keep a check on the number of snacks you are having between meals.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
Exercises that you should be doing
Finding time to exercise will be a little difficult with your new born around but it is not impossible. You can begin with gentle exercises like walking, stretching, pelvic floor exercises when you feel that you can do them. But you should wait for 6 weeks at least after giving birth so that you recover fully.
You can also exercise with your baby. You can take the baby for a walk in a pram and this way you will meet other mums and also get some fresh air that lifts the mood.
Calories needed by a new mum
The amount of calories you need depends on your current weight, activity level and whether you are breastfeeding or not.
Losing weight post pregnancy can be difficult but you should lose the gained weight before having a second baby. This important if you are already overweight or obese or have gained a lot of kilos during pregnancy. Even a weight gain of one or two BMI units between two pregnancies can result in complications in your next pregnancy.
It is beneficial for your long term health to lose the post-baby weight and to keep it off. It reduces the risk of diabetes, heart disease and certain kinds of cancers.
Relation between breastfeeding and weight loss
Breastfeeding mums need to wait till they and their babies get used to before beginning to lose weight. You need 330 extra calories a day to produce milk. However, the existing fat stores in the body will help meet the additional energy needs. This means that breastfeeding will help you lose weight if you don’t take in the extra calories needed for breastfeeding but at the same time you need to eat healthy food and stay active. Breastfeeding will help in keeping off the weight in the long run.
It is safe to lose weight gradually while breast feeding. Losing between 0.5 kg to 1 kg a week should not affect the supply or quality of your milk or the growth of the baby.
The bottom line
Take your time and don’t get carried away by stories of celebs who lost weight in a matter of weeks. Every individual has a unique rhythm and we should pay heed to it.
Happy weight loss!!
You may also like reading-
- Health Benefits Of Grapes-Why Should You Include Them In Your Diet?
- Lipedema A Common Fat Distribution Disorder Among Women
- Buddha’s Hand Fruit-Know About The Exotic Fruit
- Fitness Tracker-Things To Be Considered Before Buying One
- Top 6 Mindful Eating Tips That Make You Eat Less
- Walk 20 minutes Before Dinner For Fat Loss