Weight Loss Story 2014
From 67 kgs to 80 kgs…and how I came back
I passed through school being bullied and teased for being overweight. Although, now when I look back at my childhood pictures, I realize I was a fairly good looking little girl who transformed into an ‘almost ugly’ teenager due to her ‘fat state of mind.’ Being 162 cms and a standard 67 kgs made me come across as a full figured girl, but things took a turn when I totally took myself for granted and gained an additional 12-13 kgs. At this point of time, I was 23 years of age, into my first year of Masters in a new city – Chandigarh. You see, a day before I actually got a reality check, I had read Actor John Abraham’s vital stats in a lifestyle newspaper (185 cms – 77 kgs). And so the fact that I weigh 3 kgs more than John was tragically comical.
PCOS and me
My gynecologist helped me with the medication that got my issues with periods resolved as apparently I was suffering from Poly-cyctic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). I remember the bewildered look on my doctor’s face when I was standing on the weighing machine in her clinic. She had clearly said, “You can keep coming back and subscribe to the same medicines OR lose at least ten percent of your weight to become happier.” And that’s how I promised myself to not look back. My motivation then wasn’t sexy clothes or boyfriends, or even acceptability…it was basically good health.
My stupendous sweet tooth
I knew I was eating a lot of sugar, since I have a stupendous sweet tooth, and so, I knew the best way to confront myself – maintain a FOOD DIARY. If you’re true to yourself, all a food diary does is embarrass yourself to no end when you feed something like a “12:15 am – Three cubes of chocolate and a 4 spoons of namkeen.” Your mind reads it the next day and tells you what ‘not’ to do again. One becomes so petrified of writing about the sinful consumption that you stop eating wrong and start searching for the right food. Back then, I would have my classes from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm/ drama classes from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm. Additionally, I taught an 8th grader from 7:00pm to 8:00 pm. Space for exercise was limited, but I still managed and made it a lifestyle for a year to come. When I started my weight loss journey, I did not know how to manage the society. I could practically not eat anything on the go and had to look for the safest options. Listening to things like, “Ek bite lene se moti nahi ho jayegi” became a ritual, and I had to continuously put up a facade and say, “My digestion is weak!”
Why things were difficult for me –
- I lived in a paying guest accommodation and did not have the luxury of home cooked simple food.
- For women with PCOS, losing weight is bigger trouble. PCOS makes it more difficult for the body to use the hormone insulin, which normally helps convert sugars and starches from foods into energy. So basically, if my gorgeous friend is eating a chocolate, its giving her a lot of energy and giving me a lot of fat J
- I am not a morning person. So not even once did I wake up at 6 am and exercise. Good news for all the lazy ones like me is that I still managed to lose weight in a healthy manner.
Why things were easy for me –
- I lived in a paying guest accommodation and did not have the luxury of home cooked heavy food.
- I had a busy schedule, so it was easier not thinking about food.
- I was single, and not dating. So there wasn’t any pressure to hurry up as such!
- I had become a student again, and was practically on a 2 year vacation after leaving my job as a lifestyle journalist. If I could not have done it then, it would never have done it.
- I was in Chandigarh – city beautiful – a place that can teach you how parks can be more fun than a gym.
I currently look like this and am on a new journey to lose weight to lose another 7 kgs.
I will continue to talk about the routines I followed, the food I ate, the legs I shook and the moods I dealt with all through those 6 months in the posts to come. Stay connected.
Are you inspired ?
You may also like reading-
- What People Comment During Your Weight Loss Journey
- Best Kept Secrets On How To Get Skinny
- 8 Low Carb Moong Recipes
- 9 Things To Do In The Kitchen To Lose Weight
- Low Carb Cabbage Soup Recipe For Weight Loss
- Why Jackfruit Is A superfood
- Why Squats Should Be In Your Exercise Routine?
- Simple Tricks to Make Yourself Sleep
- How To Buy The Right Treadmill For You?
- Top Health Benefits Of Parsley
- Best Ways to Trick Yourself Out of Bed in the Morning