Why Is Vitamin E Important?
I am back with another Vitamin! This time it is Vitamin E. It is fat-soluble, that means the body stores and uses it as needed. Vitamin E is an antioxidant. Let us explore it further.
Why Is Vitamin E Important?
Vitamin E is essential for the body because of the numerous health benefits it has to offer.
- Longer Cell Life-When body cells are exposed to free radicals, a process of oxidation and speeded up aging takes place. The free radicals damage healthy cells of the body and that is linked to cancer and heart disease. Vitamin E being a really powerful antioxidant reduces the damage caused by free radicals and slows down the process of cell aging.
- Boosts immunity -The body needs vitamin E to boost its immune system so that it can fight against disease causing bacteria and viruses.
- Helps in formation of red blood cells.
- Healthy skin- The vitamin is found in most beauty products as it is an antioxidant that lessens the effects of oxidation. The skin thus looks youthful.
- Blood vessels are widened with the help of this vitamin and blood clotting inside the vessels is also prevented.
- Vitamin E helps the cells to interact with each other and carry out other important functions.
- It prevents high blood pressure.
- It is helpful for patients with type 2 diabetes as it lessens oxidative stress that is created due to increased blood sugar.
- Vitamin E prevents several types of cancers.
- It is used to treat the diseases of the nervous system too. The list include Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.
- It is said that vitamin E improves physical energy and reduces muscle damage post exercise. This improves the strength of muscles.
- Vitamin E reduces the risk of diseases of the eye.
Foods rich in vitamin E
Well, coming to the food sources of vitamin E, green leafy vegetables are found to be some of the excellent sources. The list of green leafy and other veggies includes:
- Mustard and turnip greens
- Green beans
Coming to other sources, we have nuts and seeds like:
- Sunflower seed
Next category of fruits includes:
Seafood is also a good source of the vitamin:
- Fishes like Salmon, Sardine and Cod
When it comes to oils, olive oil is a good source of the vitamin.
How to include vitamin E rich food in your diet?
That is pretty simple.
- You can make smoothies out of fruits like raspberries and cranberries.
- When you make salads, use olive oil for the dressing.
- You can snack on sunflower seeds, almonds and peanuts.
- Use lots of green leafy vegetables in the main course.
You need to be a little careful here as you may keep gorging on vitamin E rich food and not pay attention to the fat content. Be careful with the calorie part!! Choose more of the greens.
So, stay healthy and fit!