We see people discussing why sugar us bad for health. Let’s see why sugar is not only bad but evil for us, all the more if we wish to lose weight !
- Sugar is empty calories. It has absolutely no nutrients at all! So why do we eat sugar? You might say our tongue is the culprit; we have a sweet tooth. Why would we eat pastries or donuts otherwise? Let me say, our tongue is not the culprit. Let’s go to point 2 to find why.
- Sugar is addictive. Yes, you read it right. When we eat sugar, brain releases dopamine which gives us a feeling of pleasure or satisfaction. Neuroscientists have found that sugar can cause addiction. You can read the study here.
- Sugar contains fructose and only liver can metabolize fructose. Whenever fructose is underutilized, it is converted to fat. Fat in the liver causes various diseases.
- Sugar causes resistance to insulin. Insulin is secreted by pancreas to steer glucose from bloodstream to cells. When the body resists insulin, pancreas loses its ability to secrete the required insulin. That’s how people become diabetic. Fructose in sugar is known to cause insulin resistance and hence diabetes too.
- Sugar does not curb hunger. In fact, it causes us to crave and feel hungry.
- Sugar causes Leptin resistance. Leptin is a hormone which is responsible to signal the brain that we have eaten and we should stop eating now. When we eat more fat, more leptin is produced. That’s why, fat doesn’t make us fat. If you haven’t read why fat is good for us,, read here. When our body resists leptin, the brain does not get signal to make us stop eating and we keep eating. Leptin resistance is one of the most important factor which causes Obesity!
- Sugar is like Mr. India. You might think I have gone nuts :P. I mean to say that sugar is invisible. It is present in a lot of foods which we think does not contain added sugar. Maggi, pasta, french fries, aerated drinks, chips , flavored yoghurt are just a few of them !
If you wish to shed weight, throw sugar out of your life! Your body will thank you for it.
Image source – 1
You may also like reading these :
- Weight Loss and the Service Industry
- How to Log your Diet Plan with Cron-O-meter
- Best Foods for Flat Belly – Part 1
- Food Steamer For Weight Loss & Healthy Cooking
- My Latest Lifestyle Changes to Lose Weight
- 6 tips to prepare for Weight Loss
- Ways To Make Eggs Interesting
- 12 Foods for Maximum Weight Loss
- Diet or Exercise – Who is the winner in Weight Loss ?
- A Calorie is a Calorie, Really ?
- Best Foods for Flat Belly – Part 2